INTERNAL_POWER_ERROR (a0)

Anonymous
2009-08-25T20:50:39+00:00

My computer is crashing with the following error: “INTERNAL_POWER_ERROR (a0) The power policy manager experienced a fatal error.” What can I do about this?

Windows for home | Windows 11 | Performance and system failures

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2009-08-25T20:55:56+00:00

This error is caused by the hibernation file size being is too small for the current memory requirements of the computer. To fix this problem, increase the size of the hibernation file by following these steps:

  1. Click the Start button.
  2. In the search box, type command prompt.
  3. In the list of results, right-click Command Prompt, and then click Run as administrator.
  4. In the Command Prompt window type:

powercfg /hibernate /size <size%>

where <size%> equals the size of the hibernation file in percentage of total physical memory.

The default size is 75% and can be increased to 100% with:

powercfg /hibernate /size 100

Was this answer helpful?

10+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

42 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2015-08-04T10:36:55+00:00

    I too had this problem. I have a 1-year old Toshiba laptop running windows 8.1, up to date with all windows updates, and an AMD graphics card.

    When I installed windows 10 I kept getting the dreaded blue screen with INTERNAL_POWER_ERROR every time I tried to use the computer.

    I contacted MS technical support on Thursday. The Level 1 Tech. Support person couldn't fix it, or get remote access..

    Level 2 Tech. Support contacted me at 8.40am on Sunday. After numerous attempts to get remote access, a number of phone-backs it was eventually establish (so say) that my AMD R9 200x graphics were the problem.

    He went into Device Manager > Display Adapters > right-click and 'disable', in turn the AMD & Intel*(R)*.

    Tech. person finished with me about 5.50pm. It was a long day.

    Computer now works but I am waiting to get the updated AMD graphics stuff. Videos don't run perfectly and the 'GOOGLE' logo from the google homepage is missing (no loss) but other wise no other issues.

    Not sure if this helps, but best of luck.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2015-08-01T09:38:52+00:00

    Hello,

    I had this problem too and it is easily solved

    This fix is for Windows 10 only

    Go to ~

    Control Panel

    System and Security

    Power Options

    Choose When to turn off the display

    Select NEVER & then NEVER

    Apply / save

    All fixed

    Elspeth

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2015-08-01T02:13:27+00:00

    Dear All:

    I received a message before installing 2 drivers for the error message: Internal_Power_Error (Toshiba)

    The message was to uninstall(l) current apps/drivers for the following before attempting to install(l) the updates.

    I would suggest (only at your own risk) to uninstall(l) and re-run the installation recommended by the vendor. The 2 are:

    1. Display Utility
    2. DTS Studio Sound

    Also, after reviewing many other scenarios in the Community can suggest:

    Uninstalling Security Software/et al, re-installing. Vendors have their software prepared for the upgrade.

    Good luck and hope this resolves your issue.

    As in any update, there are many apps at home or globally, and it takes time to come to a point of saturation. I am just a user for many years like you and hoping this version helps us all (until come what may). 

    Thanks to the Community for helping us all.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2015-07-31T23:33:43+00:00

    I had a similar issue with my Toshiba P70-B that was reserved for W10. I managed to fix the issue by loading into safe mode via the recovery menu and used the Device Manager in control panel to update my AMD R9 M265X drivers and my Intel AC3160 drivers.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments