Windows 7 MIDI output device selection

Anonymous
2009-11-19T06:27:30+00:00

I am an active musician who has recently made the switch from XP to Windows 7, skipping Vista.  I connected my Edirol UM-1, and the drivers installed successfully.  The interface works fine within my DAW software, but I also like to have WMP use the UM-1 as the default MIDI output device.  When I went to the control panel to make that selection, I discovered that the MIDI device section was missing completely.  

There are several threads on this topic in the Vista forums, but I haven't found much discussion about this topic in the Windows 7 forum.  The fact that this problem remains from Vista to Windows 7 does not give me much hope that a solution will come from Microsoft.

My questions:  Is there a solution to this problem that doesn't involve registry hacks or questionable downloads? And/or has anyone had any success in Windows 7 using registry hacks or software patches.

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Music, photos, and video

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2012-06-10T17:51:15+00:00

Hi again Don well I've found where you are making your mistake! You are not editing the registry in the right place. You must go to the DEFAULT MIDI DEVICE folder or directory. HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\ActiveMovie\devenum{4EFE2452-168A-11D1-BC76-00C04FB9453B}\Default MidiOut Device   

You are going to the directory in the same 4EFE2452-168A-11D1-BC76-00C04FB9453B but you are editing Tascam US122mk2 and the Microsoft Wavetable synth directories DO NOT EDIT THESE FOLDERS. You MUST GO TO THE DEFAULT MIDI DEVICE DIRECTORY! You must also re edit the two device Tascam and MS WAvetable directories back to the original zero for Wavetable and 1 for tascam. Then edit the DEFAULT MIDI DEVICE directory to either zero for onboard or 1 for USB. A simple mistake that's cost you a few folicles ;-)  Terry

Was this answer helpful?

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2011-01-04T15:43:26+00:00

Mike,

Its actually all to do with the drivers, not the OS.

I have an Edirol PCM30 keyboard and a Edirol SD20, bioth of which work perfectly under W7 Pro as Edirol has written W7 specific drivers for these products. I can also use the keyboard through a Presonus FS26x26 as it also has W7 specific drivers.

If your midi devicde manufacturer has not written W7 specific drivers then you'll have to try using Vista drivers (install in compatibility mode), but there are no guarantee they work.

UM1 drivers are here :

http://www.rolandus.com/products/productdetails.php?ProductId=498#

Emu beta drivers are available here (scroll down) :

http://connect.creativelabs.com/emu/default.aspx

Cheers,

jerry

Was this answer helpful?

0 comments No comments

43 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2015-06-29T23:21:33+00:00

    Its not just Midi playback that we have lost.

    I have a high end midi software synth

    and the software I use is supposed to be able to select

    a different synth, instrument or plugin for each track.

    This is high tech recording studio software

    & it can't even play notes from a music keyboard.

    Just a single note with a mouse.

    Windows 8.1 has failed

    I even built a new PC system for it.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2014-08-14T06:13:37+00:00

    Hi again Don well I've found where you are making your mistake! You are not editing the registry in the right place. You must go to the DEFAULT MIDI DEVICE folder or directory. HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\ActiveMovie\devenum{4EFE2452-168A-11D1-BC76-00C04FB9453B}\Default MidiOut Device   

    You are going to the directory in the same 4EFE2452-168A-11D1-BC76-00C04FB9453B but you are editing Tascam US122mk2 and the Microsoft Wavetable synth directories DO NOT EDIT THESE FOLDERS. You MUST GO TO THE DEFAULT MIDI DEVICE DIRECTORY! You must also re edit the two device Tascam and MS WAvetable directories back to the original zero for Wavetable and 1 for tascam. Then edit the DEFAULT MIDI DEVICE directory to either zero for onboard or 1 for USB. A simple mistake that's cost you a few folicles ;-)  Terry

    Hi,

    My issue is similar, my MIDI USB device (Tascam iUR2) appears in he Device Manager

    but simply doesn't trigger or show any activity when monitored in MIDI OX

    It's like dead. However this device DOES work with 3 other systems I tried it on:

    WIN XP, WIN7 32 bit and WIN7 64bit  (which is like mine)

    So it must be something with my Hardware or Software.... but I can't know what

    Any ideas?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2014-08-11T11:57:45+00:00

    Hi TerryFisk,

    Hopefully you're still active this thread is kinda old

    I have a similar problem with MIDI USB soundcard

    It's a Tascam iUR2  (no driver from the manufacturer it's  just plug and play)

    It worked with XP and WIN7 32bit

    But not in 64

    Windows recognizes it but there's no "activity" when playing my ROLAND VDRUMS

    I also tried with MIDI OX program but it doesn't "get" any signal in

    I think it's more of a MIDI Input issue rather than output.

    Any ideas?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments