Microsoft Fix for .net framework download failure received today (Oct. 19)

Anonymous
2009-10-19T20:04:25+00:00

I have been receiving information from a Microsoft Tech since last Thursday on how to repair the problem with Windows Update failure to dowload the .net framework security updates.

I received the following fix this morning which repaired the problem. This is for those using Windows XP.

Be sure and following the instructions carefully.

Plus, I'm sure many of you are seeing the Windows Update icon in your system tray right now. Donot download those updates until you have finished all of the below.

The fix cleans your computer of all previous .net framwork files, subfiles and registery keys and you begin with a clean start.

This is not the Clean Install software that was recommended to us several days ago that didnot work. This is new and it fixed the problem on my computer.

Again, donot download the Windows Updates currently sitting in your system tray until you've completed all of the following:

------------------------------------------------------------------- 

I understand that the following 2 updates still cannot be installed. The error code 0x645 is received.


Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0 Service Pack 2 Security Update for Windows 2000, Windows Server 2003, and Windows XP (KB974417)

Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 Service Pack 1 and .NET Framework 3.5 Family Update for .NET versions 2.0 through 3.5 (KB951847) x86


In order to narrow down the cause of this issue and resolve it, please refer to the following steps.

Step 1: Use .Net Framework CleanUp Utility

============================================

  1. Please download the .NET Framework Cleanup Tool from the following link:

http://windowsuu.com/tools/dotnetfx\_cleanup\_tool.zip

Please Note: Microsoft provides third-party contact information to help you find technical support. This contact information may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this third-party contact information.

  1. Unzip the file and then close all the open windows.
  2. Double click Cleanup_tool.exe to run it, and then select the .Net Framework 2.0 in the list box. Click “OK”, click “Yes”, and click “Cleanup Now” to remove it completely. After that, please also remove the .NET 3.5.

Step 2: Reinstall .NET Framework Version 2.0, 3.5 and their updates

==================================================

Please download and install the following updates in order.

Microsoft .NET Framework Version 2.0 Redistributable Package (x86)

http://download.microsoft.com/download/5/6/7/567758a3-759e-473e-bf8f-52154438565a/dotnetfx.exe

Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0 Service Pack 2

http://download.microsoft.com/download/c/6/e/c6e88215-0178-4c6c-b5f3-158ff77b1f38/NetFx20SP2\_x86.exe

Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0 Service Pack 2 Security Update for Windows 2000, Windows Server 2003, and Windows XP (KB974417)

http://download.microsoft.com/download/A/0/1/A01064A3-CAB0-4851-9C54-56A980FF00EB/NDP20SP2-KB974417-x86.exe

After that, please restart the computer and then install Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 and its update.

Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 and .NET Framework 3.5 Service Pack 1

http://download.microsoft.com/download/2/0/E/20E90413-712F-438C-988E-FDAA79A8AC3D/dotnetfx35.exe

Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 Family Update

http://download.microsoft.com/download/C/6/A/C6ADC586-2518-404B-8973-E1E22C556AF4/NDP35SP1-KB958484-x86.exe

Note: When the file download window appears, please click "Save", and follow the directions to save it on the Desktop. After downloading the setup file on your Desktop, double-click to manually install it.

However, if any error is encountered when installing, please capture a screenshot of the error message:

How to capture a Screenshot:

======================

  1. When the error appears, please press the "Print Screen" key (PrtScn) on your keyboard.
  2. Click "Start", click "Run", type MSPAINT, and click "OK".
  3. In Paint, click "Paste" under the "Edit" Menu, click "Save" under the "File" menu, type a file name for the screenshot, choose JPEG as "Save as type", click "Desktop" on the left pane, and click "Save".
  4. Please find the screenshot on the Desktop and send it as an attachment to: *** Email address is removed for privacy ***.

Please try my suggestions and let me know the results at your earliest convenience. If you have any other questions, please do not hesitate to let me know.

I look forward to your response.

Best Regards,

William Zhao

*** Email address is removed for privacy ***

Microsoft Windows Update Support Professional

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Performance and system failures

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2009-10-20T14:38:51+00:00

Hey I just noticed that I can't mark the initial post as Answered, so I'll just mark this post as answered and give you some helpful votes instead :)

Thanks Jamesa1946 for the great information!  I am sure this will help anyone that has issues with the recent .Net Framework 2.0 and 3.5 updates.

Thanks.,


If you find that my answer was what you were looking for, please remember to click the "mark as answer" box below!

Was this answer helpful?

1 person found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

47 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2010-02-03T06:13:43+00:00

    amen

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2010-02-02T13:24:11+00:00

    Dear Sir.

    After many attempts to install net. 3.5, your solution worked perfectly.

    This knowledge should be more widely available for the millions of people

    who have this exact problem!

    Again, thank you.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2010-01-07T15:41:18+00:00

    This may help someone. After completing all the steps suggested by several posters, I found that my problem was that I was attempting to install 3.5, but not 3.5 SP1. It was that simple. 3.5 will not install on my XP SP3 machine (trust me, I tried about 10 times, including using the cleanup tool), but 3.5 SP1 installed just fine. Hope this saves someone about 2-3 days of heartache that I experienced. I experienced this problem after doing a manufacturer system restore from the partiton in the hard drive. The 3.5 did not get reinstalled automatically by the restore. Somehow 1.1 and 2.0 were reinstalled automatically after the restore, but I couldn't get 3.5 to install. Then I tried 3.5 SP1 and BAM! Hope this helps someone.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2009-12-18T20:36:32+00:00

    I just got done uninstalling all the NetFrameworks except 2.0 which has worked fine for me forever.  To let you know that for sure Automatic updates will add these  as an important updates.  I no longer wish to download either one of those updates so I have had to switch my automatic updates settings so that I wont download them.  NetFramework 2.0  works great and it is really all you need.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments