There is a custom solution here: http://www.sevenforums.com/customization/44913-disabletaskbarontop-disable-taskbar-always-top-9.html But for all practicial reasons, this is a 'by design' feature in Windows 7.
Taskbar up top, top of windows hide under taskbar when opened
I've had this problem with every version of windows that I remember since I have been putting the taskbar up at the top of the screen. Why Windows has never been designed to properly use this setup is beyond me. In fact it is by far more productive way to have things with the taskbar up top.
Anyhow I have fixed this "error" every time but I cannot recall how it was done before.
Typically to fix it temporarily I move the taskbar, move the window in question down and move the taskbar back. This isn't very productive. Most programs should remember their position when closed, but apparently aren't remembering. There should be a way to force windows to open on top of the taskbar. I know I could auto-hide the taskbar but I don't wish to do that.
I am using Windows 7.
Thanks
btw I did a search but did not find anything like this, but perhaps it is worded in a very strange way lol.
Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Accessibility
Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.
49 additional answers
Sort by: Most helpful
-
Anonymous
2015-06-21T19:02:15+00:00 Why so much trouble dragging icons from right side margin to left side bottom of my homepage?Using Windows 7.
-
Anonymous
2015-05-14T17:12:32+00:00 I understand what the thread was about. I didn't say anything about a taskbar disappearing. Where did you get that?
I was talking about windows XP allowing you to not have the taskbar always on top which was changed in windows 7. Get it? They did it because people would lose sight of their taskbar when the windows were maximized.
-
Anonymous
2015-05-14T15:59:05+00:00 This thread isn't about the taskbar disappearing. It's about windows that pop-up under the taskbar when you have the taskbar at the top of the screen.
Moving/resizing the new window does not always work.
-
Anonymous
2015-05-14T14:02:52+00:00 I loved the way XP taskbar worked and Microsoft purposely changed it. They got tired of their inept customers calling them up to tell them the taskbar had "disappeared". Least common denominator is the way they work.