Taskbar up top, top of windows hide under taskbar when opened

Anonymous
2009-11-17T04:32:57+00:00

I've had this problem with every version of windows that I remember since I have been putting the taskbar up at the top of the screen.  Why Windows has never been designed to properly use this setup is beyond me.  In fact it is by far more productive way to have things with the taskbar up top.

Anyhow I have fixed this "error" every time but I cannot recall how it was done before.

Typically to fix it temporarily I move the taskbar, move the window in question down and move the taskbar back. This isn't very productive.  Most programs should remember their position when closed, but apparently aren't remembering.  There should be a way to force windows to open on top of the taskbar.  I know I could auto-hide the taskbar but I don't wish to do that.

I am using Windows 7.

Thanks

btw I did a search but did not find anything like this, but perhaps it is worded in a very strange way lol.

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Accessibility

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

49 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2015-05-14T13:58:33+00:00

    I found this same solution too and it seems to work most of the time. Once the window is moved it doesn't go back under the taskbar but the initial position of the window allows it to open under the taskbar. It is a Microsoft problem but there will likely never be a solution from them.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2015-05-14T13:42:32+00:00

    Microsoft: Please fix this in Windows 10 so we can actually use touch devices!

    You need the taskbar at the top for decent touch experience

    I have a Surface Pro 3. When using touch, which I do quite a bit, it is MUCH easier to have the taskbar at the top. As a matter of fact with the keyboard setup on the Surface Pro 3 it's almost impossible to use touch with the task bar at the bottom.

    The workaround when docked (Alt+spacebar, M) won't work for touch

    When I'm in "desktop mode (docked with a keyboard)" I can press Alt+spacebar, M (Alt+spacebar bring up the Restore/Move/Size/Minimize/Maximize/Close menu) them M selects the Move option.

    But when in touch mode, I'm pretty much just stuck. I don't know how to press Alt+Spacebar with the virtual onscreen keyboard.

    Please adjust the behavior!

    Microsoft - If the menu is not on Auto-hide, the space used by the taskbar should simply be considered a "no fly zone". Do not let windows make it into that space. There is absolutely no value having a window under that taskbar. Particularly since most of the options you want are no long accessible. Just make the top left of the desktop (I think that's 0, 0 in the Windows world) the pixel right under the taskbar.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2014-11-02T19:22:18+00:00

    No luck in Win 7 with sidebar. Auto Hide on/off. Magnifier on/off. Reboot. Windows still slide right under the taskbar.

    What is infuriating was that XP allowed you to disable "Always on Top," so that the bar acted like it was on the desktop. Apparently, like everything MS, it didn't work quite right so they disabled it in 7 and F the users.

    Totally incompetent, arrogant ****. That's what you get when you hire bright children straight out of college who haven't learned not to make stupid programming mistakes, judging by the product. The only product Microsoft released that was not severely defective  was DOS 6.22, in 1984.  Yes, we had computers back then. And telephones with dials and bells. :)

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2014-03-18T04:02:37+00:00

    Just restart your system.. It will be fixed...

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments