This FTP site cannot be viewed in Windows Explorer.

Anonymous
2010-10-13T23:34:01+00:00

I am running Windows 7 Home Premium and am unable to access FTP files OR the internet from Windows Explorer.

Under "internet options" on the Advanced tab, I have checked both "Enable FTP Folder View (Outside of Internet Explorer)" and "Use Passive FTP (For Firewall and DSL Modem Compatibility), but it still will not work.

On another computer using Windows 7 Enterprise, I have no problem accessing FTP files/folders or the internet, and have verified that all settings match on the two computers.

Is this a Windows 7 Home Premium issue, or possibly a firewall issue? My firewall is COMODO.

This is endlessly frustrating. I would appreciate any insight.

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Internet and connectivity

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2011-11-28T20:33:31+00:00

Hi guys,

Here is the solution. Worked for me:

(Save a backup of your registry before you try this).

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\ftp]

@="URL:File Transfer Protocol"

"AppUserModelID"="Microsoft.InternetExplorer.Default"

"EditFlags"=dword:00000002

"FriendlyTypeName"="@C:\Windows\system32\ieframe.dll,-905"

"ShellFolder"="{63da6ec0-2e98-11cf-8d82-444553540000}"

"Source Filter"="{E436EBB6-524F-11CE-9F53-0020AF0BA770}"

"URL Protocol"=""

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\ftp\DefaultIcon]

*@=hex(2):25,00,53,00,79,00,73,00,74,00,65,00,6d,00,52,00,6f,00,6f,00,74,00,25,*

*00,5c,00,73,00,79,00,73,00,74,00,65,00,6d,00,33,00,32,00,5c,00,75,00,72,00,*

6c,00,2e,00,64,00,6c,00,6c,00,2c,00,30,00,00,00

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\ftp\shell]

@="open"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\ftp\shell\open]

Was this answer helpful?

100+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

48 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2012-02-02T08:11:40+00:00
    1. Open Start menu and type regedit and press enter
    2. Go to destination HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\ftp
    3. **** Then you shold check if all of these strings are there (the Name row):

    "AppUserModelID"

    "EditFlags"

    "FriendlyTypeName"

    "ShellFolder"

    "Source Filter"

    "URL Protocol"

    1. if some of them are missing then rightclick on the background and select New > String Value and type in the missing string's name (without the " " quotes), then doubleclick on the new string and enter the right value, you can find it from Tim Bimmler's post (and again without the " " quotes).

    if all the strings are there you should check if all the values (the Data row) are as in Tim Bimmler's post. If the String's value is not correct, doubleclick on it and enter the correct value (without the " " quotes).

    I only checked the HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\ftp folder and it solved the problem. If this doesn't solve your problem then follow Tim Bimmler post and my previous steps.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2012-01-31T09:49:10+00:00

    Hi Tim & Tony, T_J and anyone else who have got Mr Bimmler's fix to work.

    I have the exact same problem, was working fine then all of a sudden I can't open ftp sites in Windows Explorer anymore and so can't use the drag and drop to transfer files and folders.

    sorry for being dim but the above registry alterations, how do I do those using the bog standard RegEdit that comes with windows?

    what does  @="URL:File Transfer Protocol"  mean?

    can anyone give a step by step example of inputting these values using the standard RegEdit program please.

    Best Regards

    ian

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2012-01-20T15:45:07+00:00

    Great works and thanks.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2011-12-20T21:28:28+00:00

    I have a user who is having the same problem.

    The user said that he had used IE tho FTP from the same site about a month ago.

    What worked for us was to download Google Chrome and then try the FTP site again.

    With Chrome there was no problem, so the error is probably NOT with the FTP site or you security/firewall.

    I came to this site first because it was higher in the search order.

    I did try going to the site listed by Rob C. but I did not see an FTP thread, nor is there an "FTP" option in the Windows Topic drop down box.

    To bad you can't move or copy this thread tot he other location posted by Rob C. and have someone put in a FTP option in the Windows Topic drop down box there, that would make it much easier if things were consolidated.

    Bill

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments