This FTP site cannot be viewed in Windows Explorer.

Anonymous
2010-10-13T23:34:01+00:00

I am running Windows 7 Home Premium and am unable to access FTP files OR the internet from Windows Explorer.

Under "internet options" on the Advanced tab, I have checked both "Enable FTP Folder View (Outside of Internet Explorer)" and "Use Passive FTP (For Firewall and DSL Modem Compatibility), but it still will not work.

On another computer using Windows 7 Enterprise, I have no problem accessing FTP files/folders or the internet, and have verified that all settings match on the two computers.

Is this a Windows 7 Home Premium issue, or possibly a firewall issue? My firewall is COMODO.

This is endlessly frustrating. I would appreciate any insight.

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Internet and connectivity

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2011-11-28T20:33:31+00:00

Hi guys,

Here is the solution. Worked for me:

(Save a backup of your registry before you try this).

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\ftp]

@="URL:File Transfer Protocol"

"AppUserModelID"="Microsoft.InternetExplorer.Default"

"EditFlags"=dword:00000002

"FriendlyTypeName"="@C:\Windows\system32\ieframe.dll,-905"

"ShellFolder"="{63da6ec0-2e98-11cf-8d82-444553540000}"

"Source Filter"="{E436EBB6-524F-11CE-9F53-0020AF0BA770}"

"URL Protocol"=""

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\ftp\DefaultIcon]

*@=hex(2):25,00,53,00,79,00,73,00,74,00,65,00,6d,00,52,00,6f,00,6f,00,74,00,25,*

*00,5c,00,73,00,79,00,73,00,74,00,65,00,6d,00,33,00,32,00,5c,00,75,00,72,00,*

6c,00,2e,00,64,00,6c,00,6c,00,2c,00,30,00,00,00

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\ftp\shell]

@="open"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\ftp\shell\open]

Was this answer helpful?

100+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

48 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2011-12-06T02:57:06+00:00

    Hello,

    The thread you're posting in is very old. I recommend creating your own thread at the following location:

    http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/networking

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2011-11-29T19:46:45+00:00

    There has to be someone at MicroSoft that can direct this group to some simple steps to resolve this issue. I'm not going to fool around in the registry. This is as far as I got:

    First: use Control Panel Default Programs\Set Associations - and at the very bottom of that window is the Protocols section where you will see FTP. Use Change Program... and make sure FTP is associated with Internet Explorer.

    Now, use Windows Explorer to try and access the FTP site, i.e enter ftp.myhostname.com

    The FTP site will open in Internet Explorer (not what you want but...)  In Internet Explorer look for the Page menu on the tool bar and on that menu select Open FTP Site in Windows Explorer (very bottom menu item).

    Unfortunately in my case for the FTP site I'm trying to access I get the message:

           This FTP Site cannot be viewed in Windows Explorer

    So some simple steps to resolve the firewall issue would probably fix this - if anyone knows them for W7

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2011-11-28T23:06:18+00:00

    I have a similar issue trying to even open my FTP window using windows.  I get the same message as described above " this site cannot be opened with WIndows Explorer".  I opened my list of exceptions and there is not any port enabled, much less a port 43 as described earlier.  Where do I get the information required to make a new port?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2011-11-28T19:45:12+00:00

    Same here. 3 win 7 Home machines. 2 of them have no problems. The third gets the described errors when trysing to open ftp via explorer or to map a networkdrive via explorer.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments