Automated Startup Repair fails. Cannot find OS Loader.

Anonymous
2009-11-02T14:44:48+00:00

On installation of 'Windows 7', after installing needed drivers, some of which were designed for XP or Vista, on a Toshiba Portege M200 (Tablet PC from 2003) and Windows 7 automatically downloading and installing updates:

Windows 7 can't boot.

It goes directly to the Automated System Recovery and no matter which option I choose it fails to fix the problem.

  1. Sometimes it says it did fix the problem and didn't.
  2. Sometimes it says it failed to fixed the problem and in those cases the Diagnosis and Repair details says as:

Root cause found:

Boot manager failed to find OS loader.

Repair action: File Repair

Result: Failed. Error code = 0x490

Time Taken = 4767 ms

Repair action: Boot configuration data store repair

Result: Failed. Error code = 0x490

Time Taken = 150ms

Repair action: System Restore

Result: Failed. Error code = 0x1f

Time taken = 68489 ms

What is the cause of this? And how do I fix it?

The harddrive is brand new and a full memory check said the RAM was good.

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Windows update

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2010-09-23T12:15:39+00:00

I had the same problem on one of our laptops.  This has 2GB of memory so it appears to be related to that and Windows updates.  I did the following from the following Microsoft article which resolved the issue for me http://support.microsoft.com/kb/927392/en-gb.

To run the Bootrec.exe tool, you must start Windows RE. To do this, follow these steps:

  1. Put the Windows Vista or Windows 7 installation disc in the disc drive, and then start the computer.
  2. Press a key when you are prompted.
  3. Select a language, a time, a currency, a keyboard or an input method, and then clickNext.
  4. Click Repair your computer.
  5. Click the operating system that you want to repair, and then click Next.
  6. In the System Recovery Options dialog box, click Command Prompt.
  7. Type Bootrec.exe, and then press ENTER.

Note To start the computer from the Windows Vista or Windows 7 DVD, the computer must be configured to start from the DVD drive. For more information about how to configure the computer to start from the DVD drive, see the documentation that is included with the computer or contact the computer manufacturer.

!\[\](http://support.microsoft.com/library/images/support/kbgraphics/public/en-us/uparrow.gif)Back to the top

Bootrec.exe options The Bootrec.exe tool supports the following options. Use the option that is appropriate for your situation.

NoteIf rebuilding the BCD does not resolve the startup issue, you can export and delete the BCD, and then run this option again. By doing this, you make sure that the BCD is completely rebuilt. To do this, type the following commands at the Windows RE command prompt:

  • bcdedit /export C:\BCD_Backup
  • c:
  • cd boot
  • attrib bcd -s -h -r
  • ren c:\boot\bcd bcd.old
  • bootrec /RebuildBcd

/FixMbr The /FixMbr option writes a Windows 7 or Windows Vista-compatible MBR to the system partition. This option does not overwrite the existing partition table. Use this option when you must resolve MBR corruption issues, or when you have to remove non-standard code from the MBR. /FixBoot The /FixBoot option writes a new boot sector to the system partition by using a boot sector that is compatible with Windows Vista or Windows 7. Use this option if one of the following conditions is true:

  • The boot sector has been replaced with a non-standard Windows Vista or Windows 7 boot sector.
  • The boot sector is damaged.
  • An earlier Windows operating system has been installed after Windows Vista or Windows 7 was installed. In this scenario, the computer starts by using Windows NT Loader (NTLDR) instead of Windows Boot Manager (Bootmgr.exe).

/ScanOs The /ScanOs option scans all disks for installations that are compatible with Windows Vista or Windows 7. Additionally, this option displays the entries that are currently not in the BCD store. Use this option when there are Windows Vista or Windows 7 installations that the Boot Manager menu does not list. /RebuildBcd

The /RebuildBcd option scans all disks for installations that are compatible with Windows Vista or Windows 7. Additionally, this option lets you select the installations that you want to add to the BCD store. Use this option when you must completely rebuild the BCD.

After following the above i then ran the following from command prompt:

bootrec /fixmbr

then

bootrec /fixboot

This resolved the issue for me and allowed me to log on to the PC in its previous working state.  Great stuff.

Hope this works for you!

Was this answer helpful?

60+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

43 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2012-03-30T09:19:33+00:00

    Windows 7 home premium x64 . And thanks I dont have dropbox but I have opera and you can share rather large files from one of there services.I will give you my email address in a pm.And thanks again.I apologize if I came across as gruff but as I stated I have been at this for two months.And it is my frustration coming through I am just about at my breaking point.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2012-03-30T07:11:19+00:00

    Hi again,

    I get your point, I don't see it illegal for me nor for you to share my recovery disk with you since making a recovery disk is possible in Windows itself. I'd be glad to help you out.

    What version of Windows 7 do you have? Home Edition, Professional or Ultimate? And is it 64-bit or 32-bit?

    I can make and share a .ISO file through Dropbox and then you can burn it to a DVD yourself so you can boot from it and try to fix your PC.

    Just let me know whether I can help you or not.

    And I agree, Mac's costumer support is way better.

    I do have a rather busy day today so it might take a while for me to reply again.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2012-03-30T04:24:45+00:00

    I dont have a recovery disc and cannot find anyone that will let me copy from theirs.I want to stay with microsoft .But I really dont think they will ship out a recovery disc for free.You got yours up and running and thats all well and good. But what about those of us that don't have that luxury to have already made a copy.I highly doubt that anyone on here will just mail out a copy to anyone who needs one.

    And as mac being less sensitive at least they will have a bug fix within a week . And not have other users just go to the forums to post links for band-aid fixes .They will fix the software and promptly send out the update world wide.

    And as for Microsoft they would rather save the money and let the blind lead the blind.As in have other users troubleshoot their own software and not send out a world wide bug fix software update.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2012-03-29T20:00:37+00:00

    I have fixed the boot-problem by inserting my W7 disk, booting from disk of course, when the installation screen comes I choose my language and then I click on REPAIR instead of install. Then I choose one of the 2 W7 installations I have installed and I go to command prompt. Writing down nothing more than:

    "bootrec.exe /rebuildBCD"

    And press Enter.

    It said that 0 windows installations are found but for some reason that doesn't matter.

    I click on startup repair then and it says that there are no problems found. Then I restarted my computer and it found both my W7 installations and it worked just fine.

    I really have no idea if this will work for you too, but if it does then that would be great! And it wouldn't surprise me that you've already tried this and that it failed, but I'm just trying to help. :)

    I only have Windows PC's, but I think that Mac's are less sensitive for problems like this, so if you think it's worth the money then you should indeed consider abandoning Microsoft and go to Apple. I also have Ubuntu just in case my Windows fails (again.).

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments