Automated Startup Repair fails. Cannot find OS Loader.

Anonymous
2009-11-02T14:44:48+00:00

On installation of 'Windows 7', after installing needed drivers, some of which were designed for XP or Vista, on a Toshiba Portege M200 (Tablet PC from 2003) and Windows 7 automatically downloading and installing updates:

Windows 7 can't boot.

It goes directly to the Automated System Recovery and no matter which option I choose it fails to fix the problem.

  1. Sometimes it says it did fix the problem and didn't.
  2. Sometimes it says it failed to fixed the problem and in those cases the Diagnosis and Repair details says as:

Root cause found:

Boot manager failed to find OS loader.

Repair action: File Repair

Result: Failed. Error code = 0x490

Time Taken = 4767 ms

Repair action: Boot configuration data store repair

Result: Failed. Error code = 0x490

Time Taken = 150ms

Repair action: System Restore

Result: Failed. Error code = 0x1f

Time taken = 68489 ms

What is the cause of this? And how do I fix it?

The harddrive is brand new and a full memory check said the RAM was good.

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Windows update

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2010-09-23T12:15:39+00:00

I had the same problem on one of our laptops.  This has 2GB of memory so it appears to be related to that and Windows updates.  I did the following from the following Microsoft article which resolved the issue for me http://support.microsoft.com/kb/927392/en-gb.

To run the Bootrec.exe tool, you must start Windows RE. To do this, follow these steps:

  1. Put the Windows Vista or Windows 7 installation disc in the disc drive, and then start the computer.
  2. Press a key when you are prompted.
  3. Select a language, a time, a currency, a keyboard or an input method, and then clickNext.
  4. Click Repair your computer.
  5. Click the operating system that you want to repair, and then click Next.
  6. In the System Recovery Options dialog box, click Command Prompt.
  7. Type Bootrec.exe, and then press ENTER.

Note To start the computer from the Windows Vista or Windows 7 DVD, the computer must be configured to start from the DVD drive. For more information about how to configure the computer to start from the DVD drive, see the documentation that is included with the computer or contact the computer manufacturer.

!\[\](http://support.microsoft.com/library/images/support/kbgraphics/public/en-us/uparrow.gif)Back to the top

Bootrec.exe options The Bootrec.exe tool supports the following options. Use the option that is appropriate for your situation.

NoteIf rebuilding the BCD does not resolve the startup issue, you can export and delete the BCD, and then run this option again. By doing this, you make sure that the BCD is completely rebuilt. To do this, type the following commands at the Windows RE command prompt:

  • bcdedit /export C:\BCD_Backup
  • c:
  • cd boot
  • attrib bcd -s -h -r
  • ren c:\boot\bcd bcd.old
  • bootrec /RebuildBcd

/FixMbr The /FixMbr option writes a Windows 7 or Windows Vista-compatible MBR to the system partition. This option does not overwrite the existing partition table. Use this option when you must resolve MBR corruption issues, or when you have to remove non-standard code from the MBR. /FixBoot The /FixBoot option writes a new boot sector to the system partition by using a boot sector that is compatible with Windows Vista or Windows 7. Use this option if one of the following conditions is true:

  • The boot sector has been replaced with a non-standard Windows Vista or Windows 7 boot sector.
  • The boot sector is damaged.
  • An earlier Windows operating system has been installed after Windows Vista or Windows 7 was installed. In this scenario, the computer starts by using Windows NT Loader (NTLDR) instead of Windows Boot Manager (Bootmgr.exe).

/ScanOs The /ScanOs option scans all disks for installations that are compatible with Windows Vista or Windows 7. Additionally, this option displays the entries that are currently not in the BCD store. Use this option when there are Windows Vista or Windows 7 installations that the Boot Manager menu does not list. /RebuildBcd

The /RebuildBcd option scans all disks for installations that are compatible with Windows Vista or Windows 7. Additionally, this option lets you select the installations that you want to add to the BCD store. Use this option when you must completely rebuild the BCD.

After following the above i then ran the following from command prompt:

bootrec /fixmbr

then

bootrec /fixboot

This resolved the issue for me and allowed me to log on to the PC in its previous working state.  Great stuff.

Hope this works for you!

Was this answer helpful?

60+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

43 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2012-03-29T19:32:18+00:00

    I have been at this same problem for two months.I am simply going to jump the microsoft ship and board the mac ship.I feel that microsoft will not repair this issue with a software update.I am starting to really believe that they do not care.And as far as their customer service forums they skirt the issue.Do yourself a favor and buy your self an apple product they resolved my ipad problem in five minutes.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2012-03-17T00:24:37+00:00

    I have tried this and it has not worked. The only thing that I see that could be a problem is that I am using a system repair disc that allows me to access startup repair and command prompt, instead of having a Windows instillation CD (being that my computer came with it pre-installed.) Using the command prompt on this, I am unable to access the C drive using c: (it starts out of drive X:). Also, when using /FixBoot, /ScanOs, or /RebuildBcd it gives me an error saying that it found 0 installations of Windows 7 or that it is unable to locate something. My problem began with something similar to the one listed above except it came up with different error codes;

    Root cause found:

    Boot manager failed to find OS loader.

    Repair action: File Repair

    Result: Failed. Error code = 0x5

    Repair action: Boot configuration data store repair

    Result: Failed. Error code = 0x490

    Repair action: System Restore

    Result: Completed Successful. Error code = 0x0

    I have a Toshiba laptop with an AMD processor, a 500GB hard drive and 4GB of RAM. Right now I am running Ubuntu off of a USB, so I am able to access all my files (except I can not open .exe's) and I was able to back everything up.

    I really need to be able to access Windows soon because of programs I need for school that can't be run on any other operating system. Please help me if you can!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2011-12-24T22:21:12+00:00

    I saw the blue screen on my Windows 7 laptop and a failed boot right after. The detail errors indicated osloader was missing. Tried booting from last known configuration and it failed. Found this solution and it worked. Many thanks.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2011-10-16T21:38:16+00:00

    Thank you!  Thank you!  Thank you!

    I've been dealing with this same issue for a few weeks now. The "Bootrec.exe" process is the only thing that worked!!

    FYI...it happened to me AFTER i installed some Windows updates that i was prompted to install.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments