Windows 7 not auto rotating pictures

Anonymous
2010-04-28T18:17:17+00:00

I use Nik and Adobe software to edit photos and currently use Nikon Transfer to import photos, these programs read the exif auto rotate imformation stored by my nikon D80.

My problem is that when I view my pictures in Window explorer or Windows live photo gallery they are not auto rotated to portrait mode, it has become apparent that these programs are unable to to read the exif information.

I have tried rotating to portrait mode in explorer and photo gallery only to discover that when I view these pics in another non microsoft program that they revert back to landscape mode,  I have also used win 7 autoplay to import pics and they are rotated correctly using win7 programs but not in other programs I use.

Is there a current fix for this problem?

Using Win7 64bit

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Music, photos, and video

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2011-11-21T14:32:29+00:00

Hi,

 

Some photo applications will display a photo as rotated which is referred to as soft rotating by reading metadata on the photo itself. Although the Photo Gallery rotates photos on import using this same metadata, many a times it doesn't also rotate all un-rotated photos in their collection for them automatically, or at least display the photos as rotated like some other applications do.

The reason that the Photo Gallery rotates on import, but not after that is because there are a number of applications that don't correctly update the photo metadata after rotating. This metadata is supposed to reflect the state of the photo, but if the photo is rotated without updating this metadata, another application using this metadata to determine whether or not to rotate it will incorrectly rotate the photo.

During import, the photos are coming directly from the camera, at which point the integrity of this metadata is not in question. So although it's safe for the Photo Gallery to rely on this metadata to make an accurate rotate decision during import, as soon as the photo makes its way to the PC, any other application could interact with the photo, and potentially corrupt this metadata. Therefore, the Photo Gallery doesn't soft rotate at this point.

 

Regards,

Syed N – Microsoft Support


Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think.

The great part of Microsoft's answer is this explanation and this is how it reads to me; well if other programs don't read and write Exif data correctly, Windows and MS products shouldn't either.  Don't cater to the bad programs, program to a higher standard and then people will make the choice not to use these ones that don't work correctly, or allow your software to update or correct the metadata to repair these photos with bad metadata, making your product superior and the product people actually want to use.

Microsoft, any fixes expected for Windows 7 Explorer and Photoviewer coming soon?

Come on Microsoft, get your act together, there is a reason people are leaving you so quickly for Apple!

Was this answer helpful?

1 person found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

46 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2012-08-26T08:21:06+00:00

    I am amazed that Microsoft seems to be STILL stuck in the mindset that ultimately 'customer experience' just doesn't matter. Finding I am having all this grief just trying to rotate an emailed photo and then save it is just neanderthal in computer terms.

    When will Microsoft get the message that customers are not interested in techie reasons why something can't be done? Customers just want products to work easily and without hassle, which is what Apple does, and succeeds at vastly inflated prices. Apple overtook MS just this week. 

    PLEASE, MS, CREATE PRODUCTS THAT WORK SIMPLY AND PROPERLY. CUSTOMERS ARE SICK OF YOU. I AM STILL JUST ABOUT THERE, BUT THIS RIDICULOUS INABILITY TO ROTATE AND SAVE PHOTOS IS PROBABLY THE LAST STRAW FOR ME...SORT IT OUT!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2012-08-11T22:30:02+00:00

    I had the same problem, very frustrating...

    I found a very easy solution:

    http://www.photo-freeware.net/jpeg-exif-autorotate.php

    Just check it out, works like a charm :-)

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2012-07-19T12:54:52+00:00

    Thanks for posting this. It's exactly what I needed. This should be posted as the solution because obviously Microsoft isn't going to supply one. Glad I read all the way to the end of the post!!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2012-03-30T14:28:48+00:00

    I've found this solution:  http://www.fastpictureviewer.com/codecs/.  Well worth $15.  But of course we really shouldn't have to pay anything to fix a bug in the operating system.  It's remarkable that MS have no solution to this.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments