Thank you for detailing this issue and providing a solution!
Windows DVD Maker Aspect Ratio problems
I am using the Windows 7 DVD Maker tool, and am experiencing some MAJOR issues. I have a widescreen formatted AVI file I am trying to burn onto a DVD. When I import the video, it doesn't matter which aspect ratio I choose the finished DVD is the same. Menu shows video correctly, but the movie part is squeezed into a 4:3 with black bars on all four sides. it seems to be that Windows DVD Maker does not recognize the aspect ratio of the AVI file imported. Although the AVI file loads in Media Player in the widescreen format, the file listing in DVD Maker clearly shows in 4:3 aspect ratios for the same file, I may sure that Windows 7 DVD Maker is set up correctly on (16:9)
I have wasted several DVDs attempting to use multiple configurations within DVD Maker and none have been successful. The dvd ALWAYS burns in 4:3 aspect ration regardless of the settings chosen under the options menu. This is definitely a bug in the program.
Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Music, photos, and video
Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.
48 answers
Sort by: Most helpful
-
Anonymous
2017-02-22T08:16:26+00:00 -
Anonymous
2016-08-24T16:42:28+00:00 This may be a good opportunity to remind of the solutions found, to leave as a summary for new readers:
Look at my earlier entry for an explanation of the problem and a workaround: June 15, 2014.
And the entry by Fergal Monaghan June 22, 2014 suggesting use of the tool wmv-aspect-ratio-changer.
Fergal succeeded using my suggestions, and he details the installation and use of this tool to fix the problem easily. I use this now, too.
You can also use a slightly earlier version of the Windows Movie Maker to create your videos (if you are using Windows Movie Maker for this) and not have to use wmv-aspect-ratio-changer. Some of the other entries in this thread list versions that do not work correctly and versions that do.
The choice is yours.
-
Anonymous
2010-04-20T00:19:34+00:00 Well, I did, in fact, find an easier way to convert AVI to WMV files, BUT it did not solve the problem of aspect ratio. Even as a WMV file, the movie in Windows DVD Maker still appears at a ratio of 4:3 despite my selection of 16:9 (widescreen).
-
Anonymous
2010-04-19T20:11:22+00:00 Gokul,
You suggest downloading Windows Live Movie Maker, but that must be just a plug because obviously you are from Microsoft Support.
I don't know if Windows Live Movie Maker would solve the aspect ratio problem or not for an AVI file, but when I began the download and saw how long it would take because it was downloading ALL aspects of Windows Live, not just the part that would be needed to fix the problem, I decided to interrupt the download rather than have all the extra junk added to my computer that I didn't need and that didn't have anything to do with my aspect/ratio problem.
To anyone else, I suggest looking for a simpler method to convert AVI to WMV.
-
Anonymous
2010-03-04T23:18:00+00:00 Hi jurosado,
By default, Windows DVD Maker menus are displayed at a 16:9 (widescreen) aspect ratio. Therefore, some of the menu might not appear if displayed on a standard TV that has a 4:3 aspect ratio.
If you’re still facing issues playing the videos already burnt in 16:9 aspect ratio, the problem could probably be attributed to the fact that .AVI was the file format of the source file
You may have to convert the .AVI file into .WMV format and then burn the same in 16:9 aspect ratio using Windows DVD Maker.
Converting .AVI files into .WMV format and then burning the same using Windows DVD Maker has helped a lot of users in fixing the 16:9 aspect ratio issues.
WMV format is "Windows Media Video" format, and this format will work properly with DVD Maker.
To convert .AVI file into .WMV format, I’d recommend you to use Windows Live Movie Maker.
Windows Live Movie Maker is not preloaded with Windows 7. You may download and install the same from the following link:
Movie Maker – Windows Live
http://download.live.com/moviemaker
In case you need assistance to explore the features of Windows Live Movie Maker, refer the following link:
http://windowslive.com/desktop/moviemaker
Hope this helps.
Gokul - Microsoft Support
[If this post was helpful, please click the "Vote as Helpful" (green triangle) button. If it helps in resolving your issue, click "Propose As Answer" or "Mark as Answer" button. By proposing/marking a post as Answered, or Helpful you help others find the answer faster.]