Windows 7 backup fails with Error code: 0x8078012D

Anonymous
2009-12-21T01:28:35+00:00

Vista backups worked fine till I upgraded to Windows 7.

Now every backup fails with the same I/O error code 0x8078012D.

This is on a Toshiba laptop manually backing up over USB to external 500 GB harddrive.

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Windows update

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2009-12-21T22:42:55+00:00

Hi Searey,

Welcome to Microsoft answers.

The error might have occurred if the services related to Windows backup might have been disable, you may try restarting the service, follow the steps below:

1.      Click Start.

2.      Type Services in the Start Search.

3.      In the Services Windows search for Volume Shadow Copy in the list.

4.      Right click on the Service.

5.      Click on Properties.

6.      Select the Startup Type to Manual.

7.      Click OK.

8.      Now repeat the same for Windows Backup service.

If the issue persists, then I suggest that you run the chkdsk which repairs the chkdsk errors, follow the steps below:

i. Click on start

ii. Type cmd in start search box.

 iii. Right click on cmd.exe in the Program list and then select the option Run as administrator.

iv. If you are prompted for an administrator password or for confirmation, type your password, or click Continue.

 v. In the command prompt window, type the following command and press enter Chkdsk /R 

 vi. Press Y when you are prompted to check the disk the next time that the system restarts.

vii. Close all applications, and then restart the computer.

 Note: During the restart process, Windows checks the disk for errors, and then Windows starts. Now run the check disk in command prompt, follow the steps below:

Now when you try to perform backup, I recommend that you may try disabling the security software temporarily on the computer and perform a backup, make sure to enable the security software back on the computer.

Swathi B 

  • Microsoft Support.

Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forumand let us know what you think.

Was this answer helpful?

20+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

44 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2011-10-02T10:52:29+00:00

    I think that I have found the answer. I am using Microsoft Security Essentials. I did not have to turn it off nor did I have to disable the Internet connection. I went into Services in the Computer Management, I set Volume Shadow Copy to Automatic and set to Started. I set Windows Backup to Automatic and Started. I first backed up an Image of C: system to my internal 640 GB hard drive "D:" and it worked. I tried this several times without problem. I then backed up the "C:" drive and "system image", without a problem. I hope this may help some users. Chkdsk on all drives did not return any errors.

    However I have one question. How do you stop each backup overwriting the previous one ?

    Billycans

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2011-09-16T13:51:13+00:00

    I recently rebuilt my computer with a Gigabyte Motherboard  and an AMD Black Edition Quad processor. I purchased an OEM edition windows 7 Professional OS.

    I have never been able to run a backup of the system or the C drive files. Every time I run it , the program runs for a considerable amount of time and then says that it could not finish. According to all the listings on this problem, there are many people with the same problem.

    I have tried everything that your Support consultant, Swathi B, has suggested, but with no avail.

    Considering that so many people have had the same problem, it is unconceiveable that Microsoft has not got someone off their backside and fixed this problem. I am not happy with not being able to backup my data.

    If a patch is needed to fix this problem, why hasn't Microsoft done something about it.

    The operating system obviously has an error in the Backup Program and therefore should be fixed by Microsoft or if that is not the case, then they should provide an instruction on how to run the Backup Program.

    I have been involved with computers for the last 30 years and find this problem with Windows 7 Pro. a frustrating malfunction.

    I am Sure that if Bill Gates was aware of the problem, it would be fixed immediately.

    ******@hotmail.com

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2011-05-20T16:02:49+00:00

    Hello all, I had the same problem trying to back up to a 1TB WD Essential SE drive from a Toshiba Laptop. After I got the error message, I went back to configure the settings for the backup utility. This time I did'nt let Windows to select the files to back up, I choose the option to manually select what information I wanted to back up, and I did select (check) all users information BUT I unselect the option that includes the System Image. Then run the back up again and in less than 5 minutes the back up finished successfully.

    I think that I will create a System Image in a separate drive or in a DVD ROM or something like that, but for now I'm happy with backing up my data, pics, music...SO guys, just go to manually file/user selection and uncheck the option for "inlcude a system image", that should do it. Goog Luck !!  Ernesto Tijuana

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2010-11-27T07:03:47+00:00

    @szetojeff - Did you try renaming the existing Image Backup folder before starting the backup, as suggested in my previous post. 

    It works for me every time. 

    When a backup finishes I delete the renamed image backup folder, and rename the new one ready for next time. 

    I rename the folder WindowsImageBackup to WindowsImageBackup.OLD. 

    Obviously if I needed to restore from the System Image I'd first have to remove the .OLD extension with another rename.

    cheers

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments