Windows 7 backup fails with Error code: 0x8078012D

Anonymous
2009-12-21T01:28:35+00:00

Vista backups worked fine till I upgraded to Windows 7.

Now every backup fails with the same I/O error code 0x8078012D.

This is on a Toshiba laptop manually backing up over USB to external 500 GB harddrive.

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Windows update

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2009-12-21T22:42:55+00:00

Hi Searey,

Welcome to Microsoft answers.

The error might have occurred if the services related to Windows backup might have been disable, you may try restarting the service, follow the steps below:

1.      Click Start.

2.      Type Services in the Start Search.

3.      In the Services Windows search for Volume Shadow Copy in the list.

4.      Right click on the Service.

5.      Click on Properties.

6.      Select the Startup Type to Manual.

7.      Click OK.

8.      Now repeat the same for Windows Backup service.

If the issue persists, then I suggest that you run the chkdsk which repairs the chkdsk errors, follow the steps below:

i. Click on start

ii. Type cmd in start search box.

 iii. Right click on cmd.exe in the Program list and then select the option Run as administrator.

iv. If you are prompted for an administrator password or for confirmation, type your password, or click Continue.

 v. In the command prompt window, type the following command and press enter Chkdsk /R 

 vi. Press Y when you are prompted to check the disk the next time that the system restarts.

vii. Close all applications, and then restart the computer.

 Note: During the restart process, Windows checks the disk for errors, and then Windows starts. Now run the check disk in command prompt, follow the steps below:

Now when you try to perform backup, I recommend that you may try disabling the security software temporarily on the computer and perform a backup, make sure to enable the security software back on the computer.

Swathi B 

  • Microsoft Support.

Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forumand let us know what you think.

Was this answer helpful?

20+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

44 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2011-07-16T00:49:50+00:00

    Thanks so much for your help!

    I was looking for an answer online and  this was the first sight that popped up.

    Thanks again!

    I LOVE WINDOWS!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2011-05-20T22:47:27+00:00

    Update to Mijatovic 26/04/2011

    Use SATA or eSATA drive to backup the "system image", when it falls over use the "retry option", it has worked twice now.  Takes longer but it works (untested), still no joy with USB.

    Update 10/11/2012

    In response to a different backup error code, someone suggested deleting all restore points on drive C prior to the backup. Risky, but it now works every time, external USB included. And the system image actually worked when needed.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2011-04-26T07:19:49+00:00

    Hello Swathi B.

    As at 26/04/2011 and Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit SP1, updated fully, I get no joy from following these instructions.  CHKDSK/R runs and on re-boot CHKDSK reports no errors on the C drive.  Security Essentials is turned off and no other user application is running.  The destination drive is an external USB drive with the same error irrespective of which drive I use, or which USB connection I use.  I did not have this problem with Vista Ultimate 64bit, please update this solution as it's almost 18 moths old and ineffectual. 

    Regards Mijatovic

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2011-01-17T22:23:41+00:00

    Its happening to me only with external devices. Whenever I try to copy something into an SD/Micro SD/USB. Somehow my 2 TB seems to work perfectly but its getting on my nerves and I want to solve this problem before it gets worse. I tried the cms.exe thing and didn't work so i really don't know what to do.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments