Windows 7 will not recognize my iphone as a camera

Anonymous
2010-02-12T07:52:50+00:00

I noticed today while trying to upload pictures from my iphone, when I connect to my PC, itunes immediately recognizes my iphone, but window 7 will not recognize the device. When I try to access the files via "Computer" its not even listed as a connected device, even though itunes says it is. Normally, autoplay will come up the same time itunes launches. Reinstalled itunes and the device driver.

Now grabbed my wife's iphone, plugged it in, the computer recognizes the device as does itunes.

So whats the deal with mine? We're both running Version 3.1.3(7E18)

Can somone please help, I would like to upload my pictures and there are way to many to send by email

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Devices and drivers

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2010-02-13T03:33:31+00:00

Hi Steele823,

Before proceeding with the troubleshooting, I’d suggest you to check for any settings, if any, within the iPhone (you may try and compare the settings with your wife’s iPhone, if need be) and check if you’ve accidentally missed out anything.

Here’s an Apple KB article that may just have the fix for the issue you’re facing:

iPhone or iPod is not recognized properly by computer when USB drivers are not installed properly or are out of date

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS1538

Follow the troubleshooting steps mentioned in the above article, in the order and check if your issue gets fixed.

If the steps mentioned in the above article do not fix the issue, I’d suggest you to contact Apple Support:

Apple – Support – iPod – iTunes

http://www.apple.com/support/ipod/

Hope this helps.


Gokul - Microsoft Support

[If this post was helpful, please click the "Vote as Helpful" (green triangle) button. If it helps in resolving your issue, click "Propose As Answer" or "Mark as Answer" button. By proposing/marking a post as Answered, or Helpful you help others find the answer faster.]

Was this answer helpful?

5 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

44 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2011-10-19T21:20:25+00:00

    Hi,

    So far through iTunes is the only way I've found to add the photos as folder seems to be write-protected (I don't remember it being that way in the past), but I was able to see my iPhone as a device after some troubleshooting.

    While troubleshooting, I tried a few things so not sure what made it work.  #1, deleted all the photos I had added from my computer.  #2, took a photo on my new iPhone so it had something in the camera roll.  Then connected, windows sensed the device with photos and told windows to always use windows explorer with that device. 

    I also noticed the file names where changed from the program that pulled the images from my old phone so I decided to pull them off my old iPhone again manually to maintain the file names.

    I used iTunes to add the photos back in and it still does give me access via windows explorer.  I'm not sure which of the aforementioned did the trick, but it worked.

    The only caveat is that it does create a new library so there is no way just to dump it in the camera roll.  I tried via windows explorer, but it won't let me.

    At least you can still pull the photos off manually if you can see it as a device.

    I hope that helps!

    Denise

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2011-10-18T03:47:11+00:00

    This link:  http://support.apple.com/kb/TS1538  does not address the OPs original question.  This is misinformation.

    Unfortunatley none of these solutions have helped me out so far.  Still looking into this.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2011-09-17T11:55:24+00:00

    Thanks Danterner, this really helped....this was a simple and easy solution unlike yakfish2's lengthy and complicated solution.....but it's odd that he got more votes and encouraging replies.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2011-09-13T18:50:18+00:00

    Just a thought: get a magnifying glass and look carefully at the connector slot on your iPhone.  I was having the wierdest connection issues (iTunes was working, but other Windows 7 software -- like Picasa -- wouldn't fully recognize the iPhone). 

    After reading a ton of forums and messing with the driver and even tinkering with my REGISTRY for heaven's sake, I got desperate and happened to look closely at my iPhone and saw a teensy little bit of thread from my 3-year-old iPhone case trailing into the connector jack and, apparently, interrrupting one of those zillions of connections that was important to windows (but, strangely, not critical for iTunes).

    Also, try a different cable.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments