Windows 7 will not recognize my iphone as a camera

Anonymous
2010-02-12T07:52:50+00:00

I noticed today while trying to upload pictures from my iphone, when I connect to my PC, itunes immediately recognizes my iphone, but window 7 will not recognize the device. When I try to access the files via "Computer" its not even listed as a connected device, even though itunes says it is. Normally, autoplay will come up the same time itunes launches. Reinstalled itunes and the device driver.

Now grabbed my wife's iphone, plugged it in, the computer recognizes the device as does itunes.

So whats the deal with mine? We're both running Version 3.1.3(7E18)

Can somone please help, I would like to upload my pictures and there are way to many to send by email

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Devices and drivers

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2010-02-13T03:33:31+00:00

Hi Steele823,

Before proceeding with the troubleshooting, I’d suggest you to check for any settings, if any, within the iPhone (you may try and compare the settings with your wife’s iPhone, if need be) and check if you’ve accidentally missed out anything.

Here’s an Apple KB article that may just have the fix for the issue you’re facing:

iPhone or iPod is not recognized properly by computer when USB drivers are not installed properly or are out of date

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS1538

Follow the troubleshooting steps mentioned in the above article, in the order and check if your issue gets fixed.

If the steps mentioned in the above article do not fix the issue, I’d suggest you to contact Apple Support:

Apple – Support – iPod – iTunes

http://www.apple.com/support/ipod/

Hope this helps.


Gokul - Microsoft Support

[If this post was helpful, please click the "Vote as Helpful" (green triangle) button. If it helps in resolving your issue, click "Propose As Answer" or "Mark as Answer" button. By proposing/marking a post as Answered, or Helpful you help others find the answer faster.]

Was this answer helpful?

5 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

44 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2011-09-06T21:04:16+00:00

    unfortunately I tried both solutions; by deleting all foreign photos and pictures in my camera roll....this didn't work. It still gave me an 'I have detected a USB device' bass sound then followed by a double version of the same sound which sounds like 'I can't do what u want with this device' sound.

    I tried the 'Devices and printers => right click on iPhone => troubleshoot (with the ! symbol). It started to install drivers then said that windows could not find the drivers on-line. I am definitely connected to the internet so that's not the problem.  I have removed all foreign photos and pictures so literally everything in my camera roll is photos I took with the iPhone.  So I'm completely lost!

    I got so close but then Apple and Microsoft had a barney at each other and didn't solve the massive problem!

    It annoys me so much because it was only last month i transferred some photos across from my iPhone using Microsoft windows on the exact same PC which hasn't been changed since it was working last.

    If anyone knows what I can do it will be the best thing ever.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2011-08-10T16:57:07+00:00

    Danterner - thank you so much.  this problem has been bugging me for months and I have scoured all the various apple forums to no avail.  All the solutions given were more about when itunes is not detecting a device, which has never been a problem for me.

    Thanks again - this was so simple, like so many things when you know what to do!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2011-07-24T07:26:03+00:00

    i have lots of pictures i dont know which are "foreign" please help me fix this i cannot use my iphone at all my pc wont  recognize it at all nothing works im lost here

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2011-04-14T06:11:11+00:00

    Had same problem. EASY FIX. The only difference between yesterday (when all was good) and today (not listing under 'Computers') is that yesterday I cut/pasted all my iPhone photos across to PC. The fix was to take a photo using my iPhone.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments