Windows Media Player won't open!

Anonymous
2009-12-31T20:34:43+00:00

I click on Windows Media Player and it will load, but it won't open.  I have tried this several times. I even tried putting a CD in to get to open and when the window popped up i clicked on listen using window media player, it loaded with the blue circle, but it never opened. What can i do! Please Help!

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Music, photos, and video

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2010-01-01T18:27:42+00:00

Hello Knicole0728,

Welcome to Microsoft Answers Forum!

Step 1:

Let’s try to run windows media player troubleshooter and check what is causing the problem. To do so, please follow the steps below:

Open the Windows Media Player Settings troubleshooter by clicking the Start button, and then clicking Control Panel. In the search box, type troubleshooter, and then click Troubleshooting. Click View all, and then click Windows Media Player Settings.

For more information, please refer the link mentioned below:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Open-the-Windows-Media-Player-Settings-troubleshooter

If the issue persists, Try to re register the dll files for windows media player and check if it helps in fixing your issue. To do so, please follow the steps below:

Click Start, type cmd in the Start Search box, right-click cmd.exe, and then click Run as administrator. At the command prompt, type the following commands, and press ENTER after each command:

regsvr32 vbscript.dll

regsvr32  jscript.dll

regsvr32  wmp.dll

Step 2:

I would also suggest you to uninstall and reinstall windows media player from "Turn Windows features On or Off" and check if it works. To do so, please follow the steps below:

To turn Windows features on or off, follow these steps:

1.    Click the Start button, click Control Panel, click Programs, and then click Turn Windows features on or off.  If you're prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

2.    From the list of windows features, expand the Media Feature and uncheck the box next to windows media player and restart the computer.

Once you restart the computer, try to reinstall windows media player from the same steps given above and check the box next to Windows media player and restart the computer.

For more information, please refer the link mentioned below:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Turn-Windows-features-on-or-off

I hope this information helps. Please get back to us if you have any more questions about this issue.

Thanks and Regards

Mir - Microsoft Support ****Visit our http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/answersfeedback/threads

Was this answer helpful?

90+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

40 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2012-09-12T19:46:07+00:00

    It's annoying!!!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2012-09-12T19:45:25+00:00

    Same with me, can't play anything, even though in the program.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2012-03-24T19:13:55+00:00

    I click on Windows Media Player and it will load, but it won't open.  I have tried this several times. I even tried putting a CD in to get to open and when the window popped up i clicked on listen using window media player, it loaded with the blue circle, but it never opened. What can i do! Please Help!

    how do i fix aoto play windows 7

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2011-11-20T20:24:49+00:00

    Hello...I have uninstalled and reinstalled Windows Media Player as in this reply and still didn't work. I opened start, typed in cmd and did the rest of the directions there. The first and third files were fine. For the second one I got this message:

    JScript.dll failed to load. Make sure binary is stored at specific path or debug it to check for problems with the binary or dependent .DLL files. Specified module couldn't be found.

    Now I just don't know what do do with this to fix it. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you....Sheryl

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments