Jump list not working correctly in windows 7

Anonymous
2009-10-24T12:16:18+00:00

I have just carried out a clean install of Win 7 Pro plus all my software (Office 2007 etc) on my Dell Laptop without any issues. Old OS was Vista home premium

Had it installed now for 4 days and really liking the new features. Especially the much improved taskbar.  However, jump lists do not seem to be working correctly!

When I right click on a taskbar icon such as word or excel, it will only show the last document I had open.  Even if I have pinned more than one to the list.

I have checked the start menu/task bar properties and both 'recent items' and 'jump lists' are set to show 10 items.

Anyone got any ideas?

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Files, folders, and storage

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2010-08-05T18:41:06+00:00

I found the solution below on another site...WORKED for me!!

Jump List...that is corrupted in AutomaticDestinations-hidden system folder is the likely solution.. To resolve and fix the issue, follow these steps:

  1. Open Windows Explorer .
  2. Type or copy and paste the following into the address bar: %AppData%\Microsoft\Windows\Recent\AutomaticDestinations
  3. Identify files that are comparatively larger in size than the rest of the file, such as files that have file size of 1 MB or more. Delete the abnormal file. Tip: If you do not want to retain the Jump Lists’ recent items history on all applications, just delete all the automaticDestinations-ms files in the folder.
  4. The recent items functionality on Jump Lists will be restored. The recent items on the Jump Lists will be re-added as the program is been used. However, do note that the solution does not restore the previously pinned items. So user will have to pin new items again.

Was this answer helpful?

50+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2009-10-25T07:00:31+00:00

Hi,

Check in Clean boot, if the issue occurs or not:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/331796

This kind of issue is reported by using the third party task bar utility and other stuffs.

If you have any tray tools then uninstall them.

Good Luck !!

Was this answer helpful?

2 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

48 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2012-06-13T00:00:11+00:00

    This did not work for me. I tried all of the suggestions listed in the posts here including clearing out all of my jump lists. Now jump lists does not work for any of my programs. I checked the startup properties and jump lists should be working. What else can I check?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2012-05-28T13:12:40+00:00

    OK, I think I have this fixed:

    1. Close all Office apps.
    2. Right-click any Office apps that are pinned to the Taskbar and then click "Unpin this program from the Taskbar".
    3. Find a document file for the Office app (for example, a Word doc or an Excel sheet), and then drag that file to the taskbar.

    That should pin the doc file and the appropriate Office app to the taskbar. Then you can pin (or unpin) additional docs using the normal methods.

    Hope this helps others!

    I make this two solutions, and it doesn´t work for me.

    Only office  i have this problem, with other softwares jump list are work

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2012-05-05T02:24:34+00:00

    Not that many apps actually support the jumplists.  One that would be nice is for Evernote to use Jumplists for notes, but that's not yet available, Still, it's a cool feature.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments