Jump list not working correctly in windows 7

Anonymous
2009-10-24T12:16:18+00:00

I have just carried out a clean install of Win 7 Pro plus all my software (Office 2007 etc) on my Dell Laptop without any issues. Old OS was Vista home premium

Had it installed now for 4 days and really liking the new features. Especially the much improved taskbar.  However, jump lists do not seem to be working correctly!

When I right click on a taskbar icon such as word or excel, it will only show the last document I had open.  Even if I have pinned more than one to the list.

I have checked the start menu/task bar properties and both 'recent items' and 'jump lists' are set to show 10 items.

Anyone got any ideas?

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Files, folders, and storage

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2010-08-05T18:41:06+00:00

I found the solution below on another site...WORKED for me!!

Jump List...that is corrupted in AutomaticDestinations-hidden system folder is the likely solution.. To resolve and fix the issue, follow these steps:

  1. Open Windows Explorer .
  2. Type or copy and paste the following into the address bar: %AppData%\Microsoft\Windows\Recent\AutomaticDestinations
  3. Identify files that are comparatively larger in size than the rest of the file, such as files that have file size of 1 MB or more. Delete the abnormal file. Tip: If you do not want to retain the Jump Lists’ recent items history on all applications, just delete all the automaticDestinations-ms files in the folder.
  4. The recent items functionality on Jump Lists will be restored. The recent items on the Jump Lists will be re-added as the program is been used. However, do note that the solution does not restore the previously pinned items. So user will have to pin new items again.

Was this answer helpful?

50+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2009-10-25T07:00:31+00:00

Hi,

Check in Clean boot, if the issue occurs or not:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/331796

This kind of issue is reported by using the third party task bar utility and other stuffs.

If you have any tray tools then uninstall them.

Good Luck !!

Was this answer helpful?

2 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

48 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2012-11-02T14:42:20+00:00

    Thanks for providing this explanation, which has just worked in my case.

    Repairing my Office suite as someone else has suggested here didn't do the job, but I guess it won't have done any harm either.

    Thanks again for going to the effort of explaining things. You did it very clearly. The procedure seems straightforward enough, but not if you don't know where to start. :-)

    Regards

    Carl

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2012-11-01T19:30:36+00:00

    I've got a brand new laptop and a brand new installation of Office 2010, and the jump lists are simply not showing any recent files, even though the recent files work fine on the Files tab. I've been able to pin files (simultaneous with pinning the program) by dragging from Windows Explorer, but files opened subsequently do not appear, nor do files opened by double-clicking in Explorer. Files dragged from Explorer to the task bar show the "Pin to task bar" notification but show up as neither pinned nor in the recent list . The only way I can add a file to the pinned list is to unpin the program and repin it by dragging another file to the bar.

    My copy of Word is showing one recent file, and that was one I opened by launching Word, before it was pinned, by double-clicking in Explorer. Now that it's pinned, other files opened that way don't get added. I unpinned Word and opened a new file that way, but the Recent list is still showing just the first file.

    I did have Office Starter and Click-to-Run installed when I installed the full version. I've since uninstalled them both. I don't really want to uninstall and re-install Office unless a) I have reason to believe it will fix the problem and b) I can save all the settings I've changed in options, which are many.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2012-06-13T13:56:12+00:00

    OK, I think I have this fixed:

    1. Close all Office apps.
    2. Right-click any Office apps that are pinned to the Taskbar and then click "Unpin this program from the Taskbar".
    3. Find a document file for the Office app (for example, a Word doc or an Excel sheet), and then drag that file to the taskbar.

    That should pin the doc file and the appropriate Office app to the taskbar. Then you can pin (or unpin) additional docs using the normal methods.

     

    Hope this helps others!

     

    The above fix worked BEAUTIFULLY for me!!!

    all the other suggestions in the thread above did not fix my problem but this was fast, easy and WORKED!!!

    thanks so much!!!!!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments