Jump list not working correctly in windows 7

Anonymous
2009-10-24T12:16:18+00:00

I have just carried out a clean install of Win 7 Pro plus all my software (Office 2007 etc) on my Dell Laptop without any issues. Old OS was Vista home premium

Had it installed now for 4 days and really liking the new features. Especially the much improved taskbar.  However, jump lists do not seem to be working correctly!

When I right click on a taskbar icon such as word or excel, it will only show the last document I had open.  Even if I have pinned more than one to the list.

I have checked the start menu/task bar properties and both 'recent items' and 'jump lists' are set to show 10 items.

Anyone got any ideas?

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Files, folders, and storage

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2010-08-05T18:41:06+00:00

I found the solution below on another site...WORKED for me!!

Jump List...that is corrupted in AutomaticDestinations-hidden system folder is the likely solution.. To resolve and fix the issue, follow these steps:

  1. Open Windows Explorer .
  2. Type or copy and paste the following into the address bar: %AppData%\Microsoft\Windows\Recent\AutomaticDestinations
  3. Identify files that are comparatively larger in size than the rest of the file, such as files that have file size of 1 MB or more. Delete the abnormal file. Tip: If you do not want to retain the Jump Lists’ recent items history on all applications, just delete all the automaticDestinations-ms files in the folder.
  4. The recent items functionality on Jump Lists will be restored. The recent items on the Jump Lists will be re-added as the program is been used. However, do note that the solution does not restore the previously pinned items. So user will have to pin new items again.

Was this answer helpful?

50+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2009-10-25T07:00:31+00:00

Hi,

Check in Clean boot, if the issue occurs or not:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/331796

This kind of issue is reported by using the third party task bar utility and other stuffs.

If you have any tray tools then uninstall them.

Good Luck !!

Was this answer helpful?

2 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

48 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2016-05-07T23:16:18+00:00

    YES! After numerous trials: %AppData%\Microsoft\Windows\Recent\AutomaticDestinations: I deleted every single file in here, then I un-pinned EXCEL & MS WORD (2003) from the StartBar, then I ran CCleaner & also cleaned out the registry for good measure, followed by a reboot on my: Windows 7 Ultimate-64bit Laptop. On reboot I pinned MS WORD & EXCEL back into the StartBar, opened up docs from those two apps, and VOILA-OLË! One thing tho team: it was only MS WORD that screwed up on me initially-and it only happened "after I upgraded to Windows 10 Pro" [if this helps anyone else], I suspected that theO ne Drive in W10 had something to do with the kaos, but cannot confirm this now i'm back on-song? Cheers for the team work one and all!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2016-04-05T15:43:27+00:00

    I had this problem after returning to Windows 7 from Windows 10. I had tried several other "fixes" but none worked. This one did. Thanks.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2015-12-11T17:55:23+00:00

    Well in my case deleting only the abnormal files wouldn't work.

    The following trick DID work:

    1. Open Windows Explorer .
    2. Type or copy and paste the following into the address bar: %AppData%\Microsoft\Windows\Recent\AutomaticDestinations
    3. Delete ALL files
    4. Open Excel / Files / Options / Advanced
    5. Go to Display / Show this number of Recent Documents
    6. Change the number to 0
    7. Close Excel
    8. Re open Excel, go to the same place, put the number back to 10 or whatever you like
    9. Open a few XL files. Now both my Excel and my start menu are populating correctly!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments