Jump list not working correctly in windows 7

Anonymous
2009-10-24T12:16:18+00:00

I have just carried out a clean install of Win 7 Pro plus all my software (Office 2007 etc) on my Dell Laptop without any issues. Old OS was Vista home premium

Had it installed now for 4 days and really liking the new features. Especially the much improved taskbar.  However, jump lists do not seem to be working correctly!

When I right click on a taskbar icon such as word or excel, it will only show the last document I had open.  Even if I have pinned more than one to the list.

I have checked the start menu/task bar properties and both 'recent items' and 'jump lists' are set to show 10 items.

Anyone got any ideas?

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Files, folders, and storage

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2010-08-05T18:41:06+00:00

I found the solution below on another site...WORKED for me!!

Jump List...that is corrupted in AutomaticDestinations-hidden system folder is the likely solution.. To resolve and fix the issue, follow these steps:

  1. Open Windows Explorer .
  2. Type or copy and paste the following into the address bar: %AppData%\Microsoft\Windows\Recent\AutomaticDestinations
  3. Identify files that are comparatively larger in size than the rest of the file, such as files that have file size of 1 MB or more. Delete the abnormal file. Tip: If you do not want to retain the Jump Lists’ recent items history on all applications, just delete all the automaticDestinations-ms files in the folder.
  4. The recent items functionality on Jump Lists will be restored. The recent items on the Jump Lists will be re-added as the program is been used. However, do note that the solution does not restore the previously pinned items. So user will have to pin new items again.

Was this answer helpful?

50+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2009-10-25T07:00:31+00:00

Hi,

Check in Clean boot, if the issue occurs or not:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/331796

This kind of issue is reported by using the third party task bar utility and other stuffs.

If you have any tray tools then uninstall them.

Good Luck !!

Was this answer helpful?

2 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

48 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2015-06-04T19:05:59+00:00

    D Gittins's post on January 10, 2012 is the one that worked for me after trying LOTS of other solutions. The original file dragged to the taskbar is pinned but once I unpinned it it showed up as a Recent File although it had been refusing to (along with all but 2 other files) for days.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2015-05-20T08:14:24+00:00

    Exactely what every one have to do to resolve this probleme

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2015-05-05T14:04:24+00:00

    I wanted to expand on the known fix.  My problem was with Excel so I opened the path: %AppData%\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Recent\AutomaticDestinations and opened excel then updated my directory to show what files updated.  I found that there were 2 files for excel and since that was my problem that is the only one I looked for.

    The 2 files that need to be moved or appended with .old to resolve the jump list issue are 1b4dd67f29cb1962.automaticDestinations-ms and 9839aec31243a928.automaticDestinations-ms. 

    Hope this helps anyone with future problems with their JumpLists.

    Cheers

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments