When are you going to fix the overheating Microsoft Wireless Mouse Nano receiver?

Anonymous
2010-03-06T08:15:47+00:00

I bought a Microsoft wireless mouse 4000 a month ago. Yesterday it's receiver died on me. I suspect short circuit. After some research, I've realized that I was not alone with this problem, it could be a serial fault.

Once the question appeared on the forum before (http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7hardware/thread/727a8f10-4aaf-4f1e-bea1-3a73f7e62cf9) but the issue was quickly dismissed.

I bought the thing whole on a trip in Europe and can't have it replaced. Thus the question is, whether to trust Microsoft for the second time and buy the same mouse again, or opt for something else? I need a mouse that works on rough surfaces. But as of now, I may need to overcome my liking for the device and opt for Logitech's Anywhere, unless you reassure me that you will have the transceiver replaced soon.

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Devices and drivers

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2010-04-04T01:38:24+00:00

Microsoft Wireless Mobile Mouse 4000

Microsoft Replacement phone#: 800-933-4750.  Product ID = D5D-00001.  Have your 4000 mouse handy when you call them.  They will need the Product ID (PID) from the bottom.

They will replace yours for free .  Replacements carry a 3 yr warranty.  You must keep the PID of the original mouse for the replacement warranty.

Was this answer helpful?

1 person found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

53 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2010-10-19T12:14:08+00:00

    Microsoft Mobile Mouse 4000 transceiver failed and HOT, Windows does not recognize USB device.

    I'll call for replacement today, but I'll put in another data point.  Bought my mouse May 15, 2010, and yesterday (Oct 18) when I plugged it in, I got the error message that the USB device was not recognized.  I removed and replaced it, and got the same message.  I gave it a few minutes, then removed it to try another USB port.  When I did, it was pretty hot...which I'd never experienced with it before.  When I tried another port, same message.  I removed it immediately to prevent another overheat.  When I tried another computer, same experience:  Toast!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2010-10-05T18:33:25+00:00

    For what it's worth, I just threw my 3rd Mouse 4000 in the trash. The nano plugin was almost as hot as a cup of McDonalds coffee in the 1990's. Humm, I wonder...?

    Well, anyway, three strikes. I'll buy Microsoft mice, but not with the nano receiver. The track record speaks for itself.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2010-07-18T21:42:51+00:00

    Dear Microsoft:

    You should do a formal recall on these. I burned my finger on the USB part after pulling it out of my laptop because even the surrounding area of the laptop had heated up to a temperature uncomfortably hot.

    Mike

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Deleted

    This answer has been deleted due to a violation of our Code of Conduct. The answer was manually reported or identified through automated detection before action was taken. Please refer to our Code of Conduct for more information.


    Comments have been turned off. Learn more