HDMI Audio not detected

Anonymous
2010-01-08T02:36:28+00:00

HDMI Audio showing up as "not plugged in" - what gives?

Alright, so I'm having all sorts of issues here. I've gotten myself a Netflix account, and I decided I wanted to watch things on my HDTV via my laptop. I got an HDMI cable and an Audio Cable (just in case since I've heard my laptop, a Dell Inspiron 1526, has issues with the audio and needed a cable) and tried to go. I plugged the HDMI cable in, got the video up and running in no time, but no sound. I went to activate it and saw that the HDMI audio device was "not plugged in." I have no idea why that was, but I looked around online. A few people mentioned uninstalling the high definition audio device then doing the scan for updates and that would fix the issue.

Well, I did that, and then the update (simply the same high def audio device) wouldn't install at all when I did the scan. It came up saying it hadn't installed properly. So, I can't get it to work at all. I tried using the audio cable and that didn't work either. What gives?!

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Music, photos, and video

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2010-01-09T02:11:01+00:00

Hi warrenjt,

Check out the manufacturer’s website and download the latest version of audio and video drivers.

Also check in the Device Manager to see if the HDMI Output is set as default device. This should solve the issue.

Method 1: Follow these steps to set the device as Default Device

  1. Click on Start-> Control Panel-> Click on Hardware and Sound-> Now click on Sound.
  2. Now under the Playback tab-> Right click in the blank space-> Select both "Show Disabled devices" and "Show Disconnected Devices".
  3. Now right Click on HDMI Output. Click on Properties-> Under the General tab click on "Device Usage" and select "Use this Device:(enable)". Click Apply. Click OK.
  4. Repeat Step 1 and in the step 2 -> Under the Playback tab-> Click on HDMI Output and “Set as Default”.

5. Click Apply. Click OK.

Also check out the following link which addresses the similar issue:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7itprohardware/thread/01836258-d6a9-4199-bb56-b0f2c3d75fb8

Regards,

Divya R – Microsoft Support.

Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think.

Was this answer helpful?

4 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

49 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2013-12-28T23:00:36+00:00

    ****SOLVED****

    Went through the same issue and hassle and wasted 2 hours trying to figure it out...

    Install the below (i know there is a newer version available, but this is what worked for me):

    https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail\_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldID=23339&lang=eng&OSVersion=Windows%208.1%2C%2064-bit\*&DownloadType=Drivers

    1. Make sure you are ONLY connected to your main display (monitor..etc)
    2. Remove the HDMI cable (the one with the issue)
    3. Install PROPERLY and close unnecessary programs
    4. RESTART after installation

    Following all the above made it work for me. Hope it helps (-_-)b

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2013-12-24T16:53:53+00:00

    Keep in mind the Realtek Digital Output High Definition Audio requires a special cable that goes from the Red and purple connectors to your sound card.  Just use the AMD one.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2013-12-24T03:46:22+00:00

    I did this but HDMI isnt showing up still. I do have "Show Disabled Devices" and "Show Disconnected Devices" selected.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2013-12-02T05:37:06+00:00

    I am using Dell 6420 Latitude. I manage to make my HDMI audio issue work well with Ubuntu 12.04.

    I would say it is a little slower but it worked perfectly fine with my lap-top.

    Before Installing the Ubuntu OS, Back up; copy all your computer into a CD incase you change your mind.

    Good luck

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments