HDMI Audio not detected

Anonymous
2010-01-08T02:36:28+00:00

HDMI Audio showing up as "not plugged in" - what gives?

Alright, so I'm having all sorts of issues here. I've gotten myself a Netflix account, and I decided I wanted to watch things on my HDTV via my laptop. I got an HDMI cable and an Audio Cable (just in case since I've heard my laptop, a Dell Inspiron 1526, has issues with the audio and needed a cable) and tried to go. I plugged the HDMI cable in, got the video up and running in no time, but no sound. I went to activate it and saw that the HDMI audio device was "not plugged in." I have no idea why that was, but I looked around online. A few people mentioned uninstalling the high definition audio device then doing the scan for updates and that would fix the issue.

Well, I did that, and then the update (simply the same high def audio device) wouldn't install at all when I did the scan. It came up saying it hadn't installed properly. So, I can't get it to work at all. I tried using the audio cable and that didn't work either. What gives?!

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Music, photos, and video

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2010-01-09T02:11:01+00:00

Hi warrenjt,

Check out the manufacturer’s website and download the latest version of audio and video drivers.

Also check in the Device Manager to see if the HDMI Output is set as default device. This should solve the issue.

Method 1: Follow these steps to set the device as Default Device

  1. Click on Start-> Control Panel-> Click on Hardware and Sound-> Now click on Sound.
  2. Now under the Playback tab-> Right click in the blank space-> Select both "Show Disabled devices" and "Show Disconnected Devices".
  3. Now right Click on HDMI Output. Click on Properties-> Under the General tab click on "Device Usage" and select "Use this Device:(enable)". Click Apply. Click OK.
  4. Repeat Step 1 and in the step 2 -> Under the Playback tab-> Click on HDMI Output and “Set as Default”.

5. Click Apply. Click OK.

Also check out the following link which addresses the similar issue:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7itprohardware/thread/01836258-d6a9-4199-bb56-b0f2c3d75fb8

Regards,

Divya R – Microsoft Support.

Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think.

Was this answer helpful?

4 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

49 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2010-09-23T12:05:26+00:00

    I've got the exact same problem.

    Obviously, I have found and loaded the latest drivers and obviously, it's not possible to set the 'not plugged in' device as the default.

    There are dozens of hits via Google for this fault and twice as many experts suggesting answers when clearly, they have no idea or experience of this issue.  (sorry Efrain and Divya, I know the truth hurts)

    My machine was fine one day, PowerDVD started to fail when playing back Blu Ray movies on my pc.  I have the ATI 5450 gfx on a Gigabyte Video card - in the belief that this would deliver bitstream audo DTS HD and Dolby True HD to my digital receiver.  Even before PowerDVD started to fail, it began to be clear that lossless audio was still just a pipedream.

    Now, I'd be happy just to hear the sound of Media Centre starting up. I've got no sound and no video from any source and my HDMI Output Device is 'not plugged in'.

    Can anyone offer any support or suggestions?

    Freddie

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2010-08-24T11:14:57+00:00

    HDMI sound

    To transfer the PC sound to your Sony TV (or any other):

    1.    Install the latest drivers for your sound card

    2.    Connect the HDMI cable from PC to the assigned TV HDMI PC output

    3.    With the TV off, restart your PC

    4.    Control Panel > Sound > Playback and the HDMI should be there

    5.    Right click the HDMI output and select Test; the soundbar will move

    6.    Classify the HDMI as Default Device

    7.    While there change the icon to a TV and rename as Sony HDMI Output

    8.    Turn on the TV and select the assigned HDMI PC jack for the input

    9.    Test again; the sound will come from the TV

    10.Any reconnection will need the TV turned off

    11.On: PC then TV; Off: TV then PC. Always remember the TV HDMI PC position.

     Efrain Morales

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2010-02-08T15:45:10+00:00

    get a mac thats what im seriously thinking about doing this computers headed for the swimming pool......

    I have the exact same issue newest drivers, works sometimes then when I open up the computer again to watch tv, no sound the audio properties list (playback devices) shows 'nividia hdmi not plugged in" but the picture is there just no sound. sometimes when i click nvidia a few times it will detect it then start working most of the time not somtimes restarting the computer solves the problem sometimes no. have tried 2 different hdmi cables so thats not it, updated all audio drivers. MB bios its all up to date but still no.

    if it matters, Panasonic plasma, asus MB (newest bios version) with onboard nvidia 8300 graphics, vista 32 bit OS (updated by windows update)  works intermittently and very well when it does but then just stops and no audio video always works, and I have also set the computer to "always on" in case it was a restarting issue. I cannot set the nvidia as the default device because it is greyed out and listed as not connected. why in the world do they make these great features that just dont work? been all over the net looking for a solution for this and lots of hits but no solutions that work tried all of them ive found but none work also tried to turn tv on first, then computer. Seriously, I hate you microsoft I really do as many hits as there are on the net for this problem youd think they would address it; it is obviously a software issue.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2010-01-09T18:35:25+00:00

    Well, I got the audio driver installed now, at least, but it's still showing my HDMI audio as "not plugged in," so I *can't* set it as my default. I disabled it then re-enabled it, and it's still not working. Any other suggestions?

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments