Try copy and paste... and then delete the files from the original location...
Large file transfer stops working when using USB hard drive and Windows 7 64 bit, Intel chipset
I have an Acer Aspire 8735G running Windows 7 home premium 64 bit. I have a clean install and all the latest BIOS and drivers from the manufacturer. It also in NOT running Nvidia chip for the USB enhanced controller. It is an Intel controller. When I use any USB hard drive, the transfer starts then stops responding part way through. It seems to stop at various points in the transfer. I have to reboot to get the USB port to start working again. This happens with large files and folders with a large amount of files within. Can anyone help ?
Thanks
Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Devices and drivers
Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.
46 answers
Sort by: Most helpful
-
Anonymous
2016-02-26T15:13:50+00:00 -
Anonymous
2011-01-24T21:40:10+00:00 To follow up my above post I may have found a fix/workaround for my USB hard drive curruption issues and this might be the fix to your problems too.
I have gone to the properties of the USB HDD in Device Manager and then to the Policies tab and have set the device to "Better Performance" as opposed to the default of "Quick Removal". BE AWARE: you must now make sure you do safe removal before unplugging the device or you risk data loss (no big deal to me as I always did safe removal anyway).
This strangely seems to remove all curruption issues but must be done on every USB HDD as it is a policy for that device and not all USB HDD's. Once set on that PC it should remain set for future use.
I have tried and tried over and over with 27Gb Ghost files and various other random sized files and I cannot get a single one to fail CRC checks meaning they are 100% identical and no curruption has occured. These tests were performed on my 2 "problem" PC's both with x64 Windows 7 (Pro & Enteprise) and 4GB RAM. They are different machines (ie different motherboards and CPUs etc).
I have no idea what the root cause of the problem is (although it seems only to occur in x64 Windows with 4GB+ RAM) but I hope this info may help you guys sort your issues too until MS issue a fix (hopefully).
-
Anonymous
2011-01-23T14:11:46+00:00 I still need to do some testing on this but I have switch my USB HDD to "Optimised for Faster Performance" and I haven't been able to make it fail a file yet. As I said I need to carry on testing more but as soon as I turned that option back to the normal "Optimised for Safe Removal" I had currupted files again.
-
Anonymous
2010-04-18T15:57:07+00:00 I am glad to hear that it is working for you, at last.
Tom
-
Anonymous
2010-02-06T02:08:43+00:00 Hello,
1.) I am trying to transfer the files in Windows explorer.
2.)I haven't been able to transfer large files at all without a freeze/stall.
3.) No error message. The transfer just stops and sits there. The USB hard drive activity light stops flashing and just stays on.
4.)Yes, my drives are both formatted in NTFS.
Step1. Drives are already NTFS
Step2. Yes I can transfer smaller files <50megs without incident
Step3. I did this and there was no difference, problem still exist.
I have installed the latest chipset drivers for the manufacturer
The issue seems to be worse transferring from the USB drive to the computer hard drive. I have less trouble going from the computer hard drive to the USB hard drive. Example: I can use Acronis True Image and create an image on the USB hard drive no problem. When I try to verify the image on the USB hard drive it locks up. As I said the problem is predominately going from the USB drive to the computer hard drive
Thanks for you assistance