Large file transfer stops working when using USB hard drive and Windows 7 64 bit, Intel chipset

Anonymous
2010-02-04T16:15:04+00:00

I have an Acer Aspire 8735G running Windows 7 home premium 64 bit. I have a clean install and all the latest BIOS and drivers from the manufacturer. It also in NOT running Nvidia chip for the USB enhanced controller. It is an Intel controller. When I use any USB hard drive, the transfer starts then stops responding part way through. It seems to stop at various points in the transfer. I have to reboot to get the USB port to start working again. This happens with large files and folders with a large amount of files within. Can anyone help ?

Thanks

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Devices and drivers

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

46 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2010-02-11T18:57:58+00:00

    I have previously done this. There were no errors. It happens on both of my USB hard drives. Again, It will work in safe mode.

    Thanks

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2010-02-11T17:58:04+00:00

    Hi Croth44,

    There might be some corruption in the drive. So, run a check disk on your USB drive and see if it helps.

    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/Check-a-drive-for-errors

    Bindu S -- Microsoft Support

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2010-02-11T16:33:07+00:00

    So I guess no one has anymore ideas ?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2010-02-08T23:58:31+00:00

    I uninstalled all the programs you suggested, unfortunately it would now lock up the computer at the start of a large file transfer and force a reboot.  I am not sure why safe mode works . If I am in msconfig and disable all the non microsoft services and all the startup items , what is safe mode doing differently. Maybe I could start looking there. Going through items one at a time until I find it. I am just not sure where to start.

    I also downloaded  a copy of richcopy as suggested. It transferred 921mb of file in six directories with no problems from the USB drive to the computer.

     As I said earlier, I can write large files to the USB hard drive. The problem occurs when I try to copy large files or groups of files from the USB hard drive to the computer.

    Thanks for your efforts. Please keep the suggestions coming. From what I am reading , I am certainly not the only one with this problem.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2010-02-08T05:00:37+00:00

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments