Hi, I had a similar problem where I couldn't copy a 500Gb file from a USB drive onto my Windows 7 desktop. Instead of dragging and dropping I right clicked on the file and then pasted onto the desktop. Worked fine. Weird though.
Large file transfer stops working when using USB hard drive and Windows 7 64 bit, Intel chipset
I have an Acer Aspire 8735G running Windows 7 home premium 64 bit. I have a clean install and all the latest BIOS and drivers from the manufacturer. It also in NOT running Nvidia chip for the USB enhanced controller. It is an Intel controller. When I use any USB hard drive, the transfer starts then stops responding part way through. It seems to stop at various points in the transfer. I have to reboot to get the USB port to start working again. This happens with large files and folders with a large amount of files within. Can anyone help ?
Thanks
Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Devices and drivers
Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.
46 answers
Sort by: Most helpful
-
Anonymous
2010-10-28T14:03:57+00:00 -
Anonymous
2011-01-14T09:16:29+00:00 Good to know I'm not the only one that's been getting this.
I first noticed when I got curruption in HD Video files and so started checking the source and copies etc and discovered the MD5 hash didn't match etc.
The only nVidia motherboard I ever had I had problems with the hard drive controllers and certain drives needing Native Command Queuing disabling otherwise it would currupt the HDD's. :p
It's strange that Microsoft believed that this issue was an nVidia related issue when it seems to be much more routed in the OS. I'm not a software engineer (although I am a Systems Engineer) so I could only guess at the cause but it deffinatly seems related to Windows 7 x64 and 4Gb+ RAM. It's clearly not an issue with just nVidia USB controllers as I have Intels on both "issue" machines and also one has the NEC PCI card in too and that had the same issues. I am wondering if it's some buffer that is bigger when you have more RAM and so affects the larger files that might fill that buffer when it gets currupted.
I just can't point the finger at the USB enclosures cos I have so many and they all do it.
Hopefully Microsoft take note and look into this. It's extremely important nowadays to fix this as more and more people will be using x64 Windows 7 and more RAM not to mention the increased file sizes now we have HD Video etc.
-
Anonymous
2010-02-05T13:45:26+00:00 Hi Croth44,
A. How are you trying to transfer files to the external hard drive?
B. Were you able to transfer it earlier?
C. Are you getting any error message?
D. Is your hard drive NTFS formatted?
Let us try the below steps.
Step 1
Try to convert the file system to NTFS and check if you are able to transfer files.
1. Click Start
2. Type cmd in the start search box
3. Right click on cmd from the menu and choose run as administrator.
4. In the command prompt type convert <drive_letter> /fs:ntfs
Step 2Try to break the files to smaller size or shrink the files and transfer the files.
Step 3
Uninstall all USB related entries in device manager.
- Click START
- Right click 'Computer' and select 'Properties'
- On the left hand side, click 'Device Manager'
- Expand the 'Universal Serial Bus Controllers' category
- Right click and uninstall ALL entries listed
- Restart your Computer and check if it works.
I would suggest you to go to your Manufacturer's website and try to install latest drivers for chipset. Make sure you install it in compatibility mode as there are no 64 bit drivers released for Windows 7.
Bindu S -- Microsoft Support
[If this post helps to resolve your issue, please click the "Mark as Answer" or "Helpful" button at the top of this message. By marking a post as Answered, or Helpful you help others find the answer faster.]
-
Anonymous
2010-03-29T02:48:04+00:00 And so I did! That confirms it. No only am I out of ideas, I am out of memory, too.
Tom
-
Anonymous
2010-02-07T02:28:11+00:00 Anymore ideas ?