Windows Backup .... Cannot create a file when that file already exists. (0x800700B7)

Anonymous
2009-01-31T10:20:27+00:00

I installed VISTA 64 last summer.

For the first few months I was able to do BACKUP FILES without a problem

Now when I try I get this error message

Windows Backup

File Backup could not save your automatic backup settings for thefollowing reason:

Cannot create a file when that file already exists. (0x800700B7)

Please try again

I can still do a COMPLETE PC backup

I've had other issues with VISTA 64 you can see the resolutions ANSWERS beta at

http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/vistawu/thread/c6677691-6bd2-452d-9995-c110c51d2702/

when I do a search on google with

Cannot create a file when that file already exists. (0x800700B7)

I see that there are many with the same problem

ANY ideas and collaborations are welcome

:)

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Apps

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2009-02-24T19:48:12+00:00

Well this issue has been finally resolved thanks to 

MS SUPPORT engineer Della and her friends. Please see her reference below.

I must admit that this problem had dozens of people baffled for months.

So after asking for Della's permission to post it here I can say that this resolved it 100%

So, thanks to every one that was inviolved in this

Take care

g

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________

I would apologies that we may not run the command prompt, as this is not commended and cannot resolve our issue.

After discussing it with my fellow with engineers and further researching on the internet, let us try the following steps for troubleshooting.

Backup registry keys:

  1. Click “Start” -> Under “Start Search” -> Type “Regedit” and press Enter
  2. Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Schedule\TaskCache
  3. Right click on TaskCache and select export
  4. Save to a file on the desktop.

After that, please delete the WindowsBackup folder in the TaskCache\Tree\Microsoft\Windows.

Please try to the WINDOWS BACKUP files again.

This time, let us try to set the automatic file backup again. Please try to set the follow settings.

How often: weekly

What day: Monday

What time: 19:00

Please try the above steps and let me know the results at your convenience. I look forward to your reply.

Best regards,

Della Li

*** Email address is removed for privacy ***

Microsoft Windows Vista Support Professional

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________

Was this answer helpful?

3 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

49 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2009-02-01T15:59:15+00:00

    Hello Theresa y Rami :)

    Sometimes I wonder where everyone is on our little blue planet. I'm in Montreal Canada :)

    Rami

    The only selection I can select because it is highlighted is SET UP AUTOMATIC BACKUP the others are not

     So I am unable to follow your instructions

    Thank you for answering my questions

    :E

    g

    btw :E is a beaver smile. (Is a 30 kilo animal that lives in our rivers and keeps cutting trees to build dams, and has

    ever growing incisive teeth) So, do you see you see the front teeth in the :E ?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2009-02-01T14:41:19+00:00

    ABC_george,

    Your error might be related to an unsuccessful backup attempt, let us take the following steps:

    Click Start -> Click All Programs -> Click Accessories -> Click System Tools -> Click Backup Status and Configuration

    Select Back Up Files from the left pane. Click Turn Off next to “Automatic backup is currently on”

    Click Change backup settings, follow the wizard to start a new backup point.

    If this fails, manually remove any backup data from the location you are selecting for backup, or choose a completely different location. Then repeat the above mentioned steps.

    <><><><><><><><><><><><> 

    Please report your result so that we may further assist you. Thank you for using the Microsoft Vista Support Community.


    Rami

    Microsoft Answers Support Engineer

    Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2009-02-01T08:13:20+00:00

    Hello Theresa,

    Well it's been a long time since I last used the BACKUP FILES function

    probably since last October 2008 because I've had this problem since.

    As far as I remember I used the default name.

    I backup to a separate 1 tb drive on the same PC that has more than enough space.

    As far as hardware everything is the same.

    For VISTA 64 yes definitely it is,

    since I did the UPGRADE function from the installation disk that has sp1

    if you look at the link I quoted above.

    Sorry I can't think of anything else.

    Thanks for the help

    :)

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2009-01-31T16:36:23+00:00

    Hello!

    Thank you for visiting the Microsoft Windows Vista Community site. I'm glad to hear the Community site has been able to help you diagnose and resolve your previous issues. thats what we are here for and definitely its good to know we have been helpful.

    As far as your current errors with the Complete PC Backup:

    Can you tell me a little bit more about your backup environment?

    What did you name the backup? Did you duplicate a backup name?

    What type of device are you backing up to?

    When was your last successful backup?

    Has anything Changed on your computer since the last successful backup?

    Your answers to the above questions will prove helpful in helping to better assess your problem.

    Thanks


    Theresa

    Microsoft Answers Support Engineer

    Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments