Windows Backup .... Cannot create a file when that file already exists. (0x800700B7)

Anonymous
2009-01-31T10:20:27+00:00

I installed VISTA 64 last summer.

For the first few months I was able to do BACKUP FILES without a problem

Now when I try I get this error message

Windows Backup

File Backup could not save your automatic backup settings for thefollowing reason:

Cannot create a file when that file already exists. (0x800700B7)

Please try again

I can still do a COMPLETE PC backup

I've had other issues with VISTA 64 you can see the resolutions ANSWERS beta at

http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/vistawu/thread/c6677691-6bd2-452d-9995-c110c51d2702/

when I do a search on google with

Cannot create a file when that file already exists. (0x800700B7)

I see that there are many with the same problem

ANY ideas and collaborations are welcome

:)

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Apps

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2009-02-24T19:48:12+00:00

Well this issue has been finally resolved thanks to 

MS SUPPORT engineer Della and her friends. Please see her reference below.

I must admit that this problem had dozens of people baffled for months.

So after asking for Della's permission to post it here I can say that this resolved it 100%

So, thanks to every one that was inviolved in this

Take care

g

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________

I would apologies that we may not run the command prompt, as this is not commended and cannot resolve our issue.

After discussing it with my fellow with engineers and further researching on the internet, let us try the following steps for troubleshooting.

Backup registry keys:

  1. Click “Start” -> Under “Start Search” -> Type “Regedit” and press Enter
  2. Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Schedule\TaskCache
  3. Right click on TaskCache and select export
  4. Save to a file on the desktop.

After that, please delete the WindowsBackup folder in the TaskCache\Tree\Microsoft\Windows.

Please try to the WINDOWS BACKUP files again.

This time, let us try to set the automatic file backup again. Please try to set the follow settings.

How often: weekly

What day: Monday

What time: 19:00

Please try the above steps and let me know the results at your convenience. I look forward to your reply.

Best regards,

Della Li

*** Email address is removed for privacy ***

Microsoft Windows Vista Support Professional

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________

Was this answer helpful?

3 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

49 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2009-02-02T12:59:35+00:00

    I don't want to deleet my restore points Lenny and I don't think this would help

    resetting my FILE BACKUP

    thanks

    ;)

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2009-02-02T03:12:58+00:00

    I can't take those links any further because I don't use Vista's backup software myself.  I only backup and restore via third party imaging programs.

    Does it rectify the configuration options if you temporarily turn off System Restore, be warned such a procedure will clear all past restore points.

    Turn Off System Restore

    http://vistasupport.mvps.org/turn_off_system_restore.htm

    Try your luck in this Backup Forum.

    Backup – Windows and Windows Server

    http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/windowsbackup/threads/

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2009-02-01T21:00:39+00:00

    I'm not so sure about your FIX Linney

    I can do a complete backup in windows VISTA 64

    What I can NOT do or select are :

    1. SET AN AUTOMATIC BACK it tells me it has a file already and  can not replace it
    2. BACKUP NOW is not selectable because it is not highlighted
    3. CHANGE BACKUP SETTINGS is not selectable because it is not highlighted

    When I do a COMPLETE PC BACKUP that works fine

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2009-02-01T18:17:39+00:00

    This offers you the option to reset the backup configuration back to default via the Registry.

    How to reset Windows Vista "Complete PC Backup"

    http://blog.loxal.net/2009/01/how-to-reset-windows-vista-pc-backup.html

    Further explanation in this Windows 7 post.

    How to Reset the Backup Files Configuration in Windows 7

    http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/632-backup-user-system-files-reset-default-configuration.html

    How to back up and restore the registry in Windows

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/322756

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments