Network Share not working through Windows 7 home premium

Anonymous
2009-11-23T11:08:24+00:00

Hello Friends,

I am have an issue with windows 7 home premium, whenever i am trying to connect any other OS like windows serevr 2003/XP from windows 7 home premium then getting a pormpt to put the network credientials, so after entring the same again it's asking seems to be not accepting.

ex: when trying to connect like \Server-A\ABCfolder then getting a prompt but when ever trying RDC is going through , i checked and verified the network sharing setting all seems to be fine.

Here i would like to update that WINDOWS 7 HOME PREMIUM IS ON WORKGROUP AND I AM TRYING TO CONNECT THE MAHCINE WHICH ARE IN DOMAIN.

ANY SUGGESTIONS???

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Internet and connectivity

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2009-11-24T09:40:33+00:00

Thanks for your replies... The server is stand alone in the same workgroup with the other PCs. Anyway that seems to be a problem of windows 7 home since ultimate and professional edition connect properly to win 2000 share using the same user and password which that I am using with win7 home ed.   I guess that the windows 7 pc does not send the proper authentication info to the remote pc.  

The solution: Registry editing for LAN manager authentication level (in Home edition this can be configured through registry)

How to do it:  

1 . Open registry editor ( Start search - regedit)

2 . Browse to  HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Lsa

3.  Create a new DWORD value  with the following properties:   NAME: LmCompatibilityLevel    

                                                                                            VALUE: 1

  1. Restart your PC and try the connection again...

Was this answer helpful?

40+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

42 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2010-03-30T19:07:07+00:00

    Why can't you just delete the DWORD registry value "diabsledomaincreds"?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2010-03-23T23:56:16+00:00

    Thanks Getsor,

    This fix resolved my network printing problem.

    Windows Home Server, Windows 7 Home 64bit, Epson R300. (Windows 7 Ultimate worked fine out of the box)

    Loads of posts with this problem in internet land, will post link.

    Cheers

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2010-03-11T16:27:41+00:00

    No messages, just keeps going back to password request. Eventaully, after a few attempts I get a message like 'you cannot connect to this resource'. I am having other strange behaviour which may be related.

    I have configured hMailServer on the Windows Server 2008 R2 standalone (dedicated server from Webfusion in the uk) and opened up ports 25 and 110 in Windows Firewall (under exceptions) and cannot connect to hMail Server. I checked my mx records, which point to the correct IP. A port scan using MXSupertool shows these ports as closed.

    Could my problems filesharing be related? Is the 2008 R2 machines firewall misbehaving? I am new to all of this (my first dedicated server, or any server for that matter).

    Thanks for any help/suggestions in advance.


    Michael J. Hill

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2010-03-09T00:14:42+00:00

    What about Ultimate edition? I have tried your registry entry and still can't connect to a share on a Windows Server 2008 R2 machine. I am getting very frustrated, and for security reasons do not want to open my administrator account with the same credentials on my Windows 7 machine.

    Does anybody know what's wrong?


    Michael J. Hill

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments