Network Share not working through Windows 7 home premium

Anonymous
2009-11-23T11:08:24+00:00

Hello Friends,

I am have an issue with windows 7 home premium, whenever i am trying to connect any other OS like windows serevr 2003/XP from windows 7 home premium then getting a pormpt to put the network credientials, so after entring the same again it's asking seems to be not accepting.

ex: when trying to connect like \Server-A\ABCfolder then getting a prompt but when ever trying RDC is going through , i checked and verified the network sharing setting all seems to be fine.

Here i would like to update that WINDOWS 7 HOME PREMIUM IS ON WORKGROUP AND I AM TRYING TO CONNECT THE MAHCINE WHICH ARE IN DOMAIN.

ANY SUGGESTIONS???

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Internet and connectivity

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2009-11-24T09:40:33+00:00

Thanks for your replies... The server is stand alone in the same workgroup with the other PCs. Anyway that seems to be a problem of windows 7 home since ultimate and professional edition connect properly to win 2000 share using the same user and password which that I am using with win7 home ed.   I guess that the windows 7 pc does not send the proper authentication info to the remote pc.  

The solution: Registry editing for LAN manager authentication level (in Home edition this can be configured through registry)

How to do it:  

1 . Open registry editor ( Start search - regedit)

2 . Browse to  HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Lsa

3.  Create a new DWORD value  with the following properties:   NAME: LmCompatibilityLevel    

                                                                                            VALUE: 1

  1. Restart your PC and try the connection again...

Was this answer helpful?

40+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

42 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2010-01-15T21:45:36+00:00

    Hi

    I had the same issue: windows 7 home premium connecting to a workgroup network server and the following action worked:

    1 . Open registry editor ( Start search - regedit)

    2 . Browse to  HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Lsa

    3.  Create a new DWORD value  with the following properties:   NAME: LmCompatibilityLevel    

                                                                                                VALUE: 1

    THANK YOU SO MUCH

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2009-11-24T12:45:15+00:00

    Hello Getsor,

    I tried you registery thing on one of the WINDOWS 7 home premium and after that i am able to connect to the server which is on the domain.

    Thanks

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2009-11-23T16:21:44+00:00

    In your first post you mentioned a Workgroup. In this later post you mention a Windows 2000 server so I really don't know if you are on a domain or not. There may be a problem in joining a Windows 2000 server domain; I don't know and that is such an old server OS that I haven't worked on one in a long time. If you don't get an answer here you might want to check on one of the TechNet server forums.

    http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/categories/

    I'm sorry I was unable to help you.


    MS-MVP - Elephant Boy Computers - Don't Panic!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2009-11-23T15:48:05+00:00

    The configuraion is matching your description above... I guess there is somewhat  limitation in Windows 7 home because the same thing (connection to share)  is working fine from an ultimate version. The event log of the remote machine (windows 2000 server) logs the following:  event id 681 : MICROSOFT_AUTHENTICATION_PACKAGE_V1_0 . All the other possible connections between the workgroup shares  are working.  In addition all workgroup computers are able to connect to windows 7 home.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments