How do I "renew your IP address" to repair my wireless network connection?

Anonymous
2010-02-06T23:31:28+00:00

This is what the pop up window said----- "windows could not finish repairing the problem because the folowing action cannot be completed - RENEWING your IP ADDRESS" 

Can someone help me to renew my IP so my wireless will work again on a long time laptop.

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Internet and connectivity

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2010-02-07T11:32:23+00:00

To renew your IP address:

  1. Open windows command prompt  Start\ Run\cmd\ok2. To release your Ip address ipconfig/releaseEnter3. To renew your IP address ipconfig/renewEnterExitBest of Luck

Sohail Khan

Was this answer helpful?

100+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

42 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2012-09-08T02:14:32+00:00

    me too. the same thing happend to me, i restored my computer to factory settings, followed every step,

     i  have an ipod, iphone and another laptop all connected to the internet fine. did u figure it out? ive been googling foreverr!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. LemP 74,990 Reputation points Volunteer Moderator
    2011-11-22T21:36:00+00:00

    To dc1012:

    You need to start your own question.  Give it a meaningful subject and include as much information about your problem as you can recall.

    It's difficult to tell based on no information, but your problem sounds as if it is related to improper wireless security (encryption) configuration.

    None of the questions below requires that you reveal personal information.  Understand, however, that if you choose to not answer some or all of the questions below, you will delay receiving useful help or possibly prevent anyone from helping you at all.

    It is important to know:

    • What version of Windows you have, including service pack (right click My Computer and select Properties if you don't know)
    • a concise description of the problem
    • what wireless encryption (WEP, WPA, WPA2, etc.) has been configured on the router
    • what other wireless security measures have been implemented on the router
    • the complete text of any error message received, without paraphrasing
    • what happened to your computer system just prior to the problem occurring
    • the malware status of your computer (and how you know)
    • the make and model of your wireless router
    • the make and model of your wireless adapter (or the make and model of your laptop, and if a Dell, its Service Tag)
    • the following diagnostic data:
    1. Open a Command Prompt window on the laptop (Start > Run > cmd > OK)
    2. Type the following lines in the black Command Prompt window and press Enter after each line

         ipconfig /all > "%UserProfile%\Desktop\ipinfo.txt"

         notepad "%UserProfile%\Desktop\ipinfo.txt" 3. If you are using your laptop connected by Ethernet to post in the forum, copy the contents of the Notepad window and paste into your post.  Otherwise, close the Notepad window, find the file ipinfo.txt on your Desktop, and copy it to a flash drive.  Connect the flash drive to the computer you use for posting, open ipinfo.txt, and copy/paste the contents into your post.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2011-11-22T20:48:47+00:00

    I tried to reset my ip address but everytime I do that ipconfig /renew, it doesn't work.  Is states that- "no operation can be performed on Local Are Connection while it has its media disconnected.

     An error occured while renewing interface Wireless network Connection : The RPC server is unavailable."

         I went on another website to see if i can fix the RPC connection and it said-      "In Windows XP or Vista, verify that DCOM Tunneling has already been enabled and is not being blocked (see Fix Error 462 article). Then go to Start > Control Panel > Administrative Tools > select Services > click the Standard tab (at bottom of screen) > double-click on Remote Procedure Call > Change the Startup Type to Automatic > Click Start under Service Status > click OK > confirm that the "Status" for Remote Procedure Call now displays Started."   i tried this and it still says there's no connection. 

       I checked the wireless network connection and its says i'm connected but the stus is limited or no connectivity.  I dont know what else to do and I NEED HELP!  I tried going on the internet but it says problem loading page over and over again.  I just want to use my laptop again.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2011-07-16T19:27:49+00:00

    I dun care if people think bumping old forums is stupid. If they need it, they need it. BAH.

    I found a way for a windows 7 user to release and to renew their IP address. You see, windows 7 has two IP versions. IPv4 and IPv6. the people who have been telling you to type "run, cmd, and type in ipconfig/release or ipconfig/renew" are right, but at the same time wrong. Don't forget you have to connect yourself to the connection you are trying to connect to, or it will not work.

    while typing in "ipconfig/release" or "ipconfig/renew" you must put a space between the ipconfig and the backslash [the / symbol] Ex: "ipconfig /release" or "ipconfig /renew". As you can see, these help the IPv4 protocol. If the cammand prompt says no operation was done then you need to do the IPv6 to renew your ip address. You can close out and retry doing the bottom instructions.

    Now to release/renew the IPv6 protocol, you must type, "ipconfig /release6" and/or "ipconfig /renew6". Remember adding space between the ipconfig and the backslash!

    After you finished those, close out and restart the computer. It should work by then. If it doesn't, then i can't help. XD

    How did I get this information?

    It actually helped me when I was at Barnes and Nobles. I have Windows 7 and the connection didn't notice my IP address so i checked up online to see if anyone had the same problem. Obviously, none of it seemed to help, so i experimented. A ton. XD That was when I found instructions while experimenting. hehe, so the command prompt helped alot. At first, I thought it wasn't going to work, and it didn't work cause i did not restart my computer. Once I restarted it, it began working. So I hopes it helps you and the people who are going to read this in the future. hehehehehe. XDDDDDD if it doesn't then i don't know what the problem to your connection is... well, for Windows 7 users anyways.....

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments