How do I "renew your IP address" to repair my wireless network connection?

Anonymous
2010-02-06T23:31:28+00:00

This is what the pop up window said----- "windows could not finish repairing the problem because the folowing action cannot be completed - RENEWING your IP ADDRESS" 

Can someone help me to renew my IP so my wireless will work again on a long time laptop.

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Internet and connectivity

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2010-02-07T11:32:23+00:00

To renew your IP address:

  1. Open windows command prompt  Start\ Run\cmd\ok2. To release your Ip address ipconfig/releaseEnter3. To renew your IP address ipconfig/renewEnterExitBest of Luck

Sohail Khan

Was this answer helpful?

100+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

42 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2010-09-01T18:48:00+00:00

    I am having the same problem with the same error codes and bad settings.I also have tried every re boot, etc. any one has mentioned. No luck. I have a dlink dir-615-sw It has worked fine until I started the laptop on 8/31/2010 and this problem came up and no wireless inet connection.

    Please, Mr. Windows, give us some help here.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2010-07-30T07:20:10+00:00

    I am having the very same problems!

    I have two D-Link DIR-825 routers and a D-Link DWA-160 adapter and I can now no longer connect to either router with either the D-Link DWA-160 or my computer's internal wireless radio.  I have several other computers that all connect to these same routers running Win Vista-64 and Win-7 with no issues at all, but my XP and my friend's XP machines will no longer connect. 

    The wireless connection reports that the IP address is 0.0.0.0 and the subnet mask is also 0.0.0.0

    I try to repair the connection and that doesn't fix the problem.  I've tried the IP release and reset in the command prompt and that doens't fix the problem either.

    I think one of the latest windows updates has screwed around with the communications of the wireless, probably to try and track our usage, and is now having issues with the IP address seemengly locking up.

    Resetting the router and updating drivers has not fixed the issue.

    Microsoft needs to come up with a fix for this quickly!

    If anyone has a solution, please reply to this post so that I'll get an email notification of your message.

    I'm dead in the water once again and can't seem to find a fix here on Microsoft's support web site.  I need my computer to be up and running on the wireless connection so I need this fix badly!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2010-03-09T04:53:23+00:00

    Pushing the reset button returns the router to factory settings, erasing the settings that you've made for wireless network name (SSID), encryption type, encryption key, etc.  I only recommend it as a last resort if nothing else works.


    Boulder Computer Maven

    Microsoft Most Valuable Professional

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2010-03-08T19:32:29+00:00

    i dont know , but they tell me to push the tiny reset button on the router, power down the modem and restart the computer .


    pop-eye-666

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments