Error 80070057 when installing Windows Updates

Anonymous
2010-08-21T10:02:22+00:00

Original Title: windows update![](http://i4.social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/resources/images/trans.gif?cver=2.13.0068.4)

i cant install  updates error code 80070057

Windows for home | Other | Windows update

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2015-05-13T22:25:53+00:00

Hi spyder420,

·        What is the Operating System installed on your computer?

Along with TaurArian`s suggestions, also see if the following steps help.

Step 1:

a.       Run Windows Update troubleshooter and check if it helps. (For Windows 7)

Open the Windows Update troubleshooter

b.      Try to reset the Windows Update Components and see if it helps. Refer the below mentioned article for the same. (For Windows Vista and XP)

How do I reset Windows Update components?

**Step 2:**If this does not help, try installing the updates in a clean boot state and see if it helps. To do so, follow these steps.

a.       Click Start, type “msconfig.exe” (without quotes) in the Start Search box, and then press Enter to start the System Configuration Utility. If you are prompted for an administrator password or for confirmation, type your password, or click Continue.

b.      On the General tab, click Selective Startup, and then click to clear the Load startup items check box. (The Use Original Boot.ini check box is unavailable.)

c.       On the Services tab, click to select the Hide all Microsoft services check box, and then click Disable all. Click OK, and then click Restart. Install the updates after the restart.

**Note:**Make sure you put the computer back to Normal Startup once updates finish installing.

How to troubleshoot a problem by performing a clean boot in Windows Vista or in Windows 7

For additional information, you may refer the following links.

Windows Vista - Troubleshoot problems with installing updates

Windows 7 - Troubleshoot problems with installing updates

Hope this helps!

Syed N – Microsoft Support


Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think.

Thank you.

This helped me: 

Windows 7 - Troubleshoot problems with installing updates

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/troubleshoot-problems-installing-updates#1TC=windows-7

I tried a lot of "solutions" only this works.

It worked on: 

Windows 7 Enterprise 64bits.  

My problem was that I update windows on May 12, 2015. And it give me back an error and did not install 6 updates. There was like 35 updates. With the others I got no problem. But since that I couldn't update anymore, until now. Thank you.

Was this answer helpful?

90+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2010-08-22T01:30:50+00:00

Windows XP -

Rename the SoftwareDistribution folder

Click Start, Choose Run.

In the Run box, type services.msc.

Click OK.

Right-click the Automatic Updates service.

Click Stop.

Stopping the service will take a moment.

Rename the "SoftwareDistribution" folder:

a. Click Start, click Run, type %systemroot%, and then click OK.

b. Right-click the SoftwareDistribution folder, and then click Rename.

c. Type SoftwareDistribution.old, and then press ENTER to rename this folder.

Click Start. Choose Run.

In the Run box, type services.msc.

Click OK.

Right-click the Automatic Updates service.

Click Start.

Starting the service will take a moment.

If that hasn't helped also see:

You may receive an error message that contains the "0x8DDD0018" code or the "0x80246008" code when you try to download updates from the Microsoft Windows Update Web site or from the Microsoft Update Web site

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/910337

Windows could not start the Background Intelligent Transfer service on the local computer. For more information, review the system event log. If this is a non-Microsoft service, contact the service vendor and refer to service-specific error code 2147942487. (0x80070057)

Perhaps Vista -

80070057 -  ERROR_INVALID_PARAMETER.  Third party service which is running in the computer creating the problem.  Please do a clean boot and then install the updates.

Description of the CheckSUR update for Windows Vista and for Windows Vista for x64-based systems

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/947821

0x80070057 - ERROR_INVALID_PARAMETER - The parameter is incorrect.

Error message when you try to install Service Pack 2 for Windows Server 2008 or for Windows Vista: "ERROR_INVALID_PARAMETER(0x80070057)"

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/975185

see also:

How to troubleshoot Windows Vista and Windows Server 2008 service pack installation issues

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/947366


TaurArian [MVP] 2005-2011 - Update Services

Was this answer helpful?

80+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

50 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2016-07-04T17:33:45+00:00

    Hello AUAGJC,

    I appreciate your note and that it brings me back to report that I've been stuck at:

    Windows' "checking for updates" since my above message was posted.  A real drag.  It's not working.  (Also, that screen is written in "red" color--the box and print for "checking for updates".)

    It just keeps looking and looking.  And it shows the last Check was April 2016.  And the last Install was early June (which I can't recall how that would have happened).

    I'm also having this problem on 3 other computers. (2 laptops, one pc, and this laptop that I'm addressing at this Forum)

    I agree.  Microsoft company/website/forum/staff do not help for most issues.

    disappointed,

    massachusetts

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2016-07-04T13:25:43+00:00

    I just got this problem as of early June. I have been throught this forum. Nothing works for me. I am very disappointed with Microsoft that can't even come up with a solution to a problem/issue they caused. I feel as if I am being purposly prevented from updating th OS (Windows 7). If I get lucky and somehow get to fix this annoying issue, I will post.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2016-06-13T05:28:12+00:00

    It's June 13, 2016 and I'm just reading this thread.  I received same error number and other problems.  But didn't know the errors until after the below diagnostics tool.

    Win. Updates on my Windows 7 Home version on a Lenovo SL510 laptop hasn't been working for too long.  I was up to 50 updates that I couldn't install.  I don't know how they were found because the whole tool of Windows Updates hasn't been functioning.  I haven't been able to download any new ones since April 2016.

    Somehow I found a download for the Windows Updates Diagnostic Tool(for Win 7).  (Vista uses the old "FixIt" tool).     And NOTE:  this is a download. Can't recall where or how I found it.  But you can do a search of the phrase.  This works, and NOT the "troubleshooting" service or tool available in the computer's Control Panel. 

    The Diagnostic tool offers two services to click.  (I tried pasting the Tool page but this message can't hold more "characters" so had to remove it.)

    I ran the "Windows Update" repeatedly but it seemed to hang.

    I didn't know what the 2nd service is, but I ran it--- the "Background Intelligent Transfer service"-- and that took care of finding problems in a report that allowed me to choose to fix or not.

    This was the significant part of the errors Report:

    (The message won't take image of the Report results. Sorry.  But there are 3 issues to be fixed, including the 80070057 error.)  And you click "Next" for the tool to fix the errors.  Very nice.

    Be aware,  like with "FixIt" tool in previous Windows versions, after running a troubleshooting tool, you can often lose all the Updates that were previously found but couldn't be installed. (doesn't lose the previously Installed updates, just the downloaded ones) So I lost the 50 Updates and now the Windows Update is searching all over again.  It will take forever, but the service is done.  Fixed.  I hope.

    Hope this may be helpful to someone.

    Massachusetts

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments