How to update Windows Media Player codecs

Anonymous
2009-07-17T02:36:47+00:00

Intel/Ligos Indeo Interactive 5.0 (IV50)

Where can I find these CODECS updates for Windows Media Player Version 11 for Windows Vista?  Without them, some of my older .avi files will not function or run properly.  Any and all help would be greatly appreciated.

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Music, photos, and video

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2009-07-17T20:29:15+00:00

Hi Mike4UT,

I hope you are doing well. First I would recommend you to check for the latest updates using automatic updates. If there are new codec’s or required codec’s it will be downloaded and installed by the automatic update feature of windows vista.

To access windows updates click on start, click on control panel and then click on windows updates. You will see all the important and required updates.

I will also include the link for our codec package which you can directly download and install.

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/download/AllDownloads.aspx?displang=en

Use the above link for downloading codec packages for all the versions of windows media player.

I hope this information will be helpful.

Please let us know if you require further help.

Regards

Rehman- Microsoft Support

Was this answer helpful?

10+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2010-01-20T05:34:55+00:00

I just had this problem I'm on Windows 7 x64 Home Premium, after a few minutes of websurfing I saw this. Then I found another page http://www.cucusoft.com/codec.asp the last download on the very bottom is the IV50 codec installer I ran it and my video loads perfectly now, try it for your self.

Was this answer helpful?

9 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2011-04-22T21:41:20+00:00

Hi KenF,

The links are in my reply above :

All you need is good Codec - Get these if 32 bit.

CCCP - Free - also get the free insurgent tool

http://cccp-project.net/

FFDSHOW - free

http://sourceforge.net/projects/ffdshow/

Check here :

Plug-ins for Windows Media Player

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/player/plugins.aspx


VLC needs no Codec usually so use it as a backup, when it asks to take over file associations just say no.

VLC - Free

http://www.videolan.org/vlc/


If 64 bit and you need codec.

Read this 1st and either go that route or use the one below. (Vista or Windows 7)

http://www.vistax64.com/sound-audio/152850-vista-codec-pack-32bit-64bit-media-player-codecs.html


If 64 bit - can run WMP in 32 or 64 bit mode.

Or try these :  Download - SAVE - go to where your put them RIGHT CLICK - RUN AS ADMIN.

For 32 bit use these  - OR the 32 bit ones listed above which I prefer.

K-Lite Codec Pack 7.1.X (or newer)

http://www.codecguide.com/

For 64 bit use these :

K-Lite Codec Pack (64-bit) 4.6.X (or newer)

http://www.codecguide.com/


You need to know which you are using 32 or 64 WMP

Switch, Change or Set 64-Bit Windows Media Player 11 (WMP11) in Windows Vista x64 as Default

http://www.mydigitallife.info/2007/01/19/switch-change-or-set-64-bit-windows-media-player-11-wmp11-in-windows-vista-x64-as-default/


And you can use this when needed as no codex is usually required.

VideoLAN - VLC media player

http://www.videolan.org/

Hope this helps.

Was this answer helpful?

4 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2010-07-06T04:02:08+00:00

Hi,

Codecs: frequently asked questions

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Codecs-frequently-asked-questions

All you need is good Codec

CCCP - Free - also get the free insurgent tool

http://cccp-project.net/

CCCP - Forums

http://www.cccp-project.net/forums/index.php?PHPSESSID=34ckg75t1mmdlcgfete6rif814;wwwRedirect

K-Lite Codec Pack

http://www.codecguide.com/K-Lite Codec Guide - Forum

http://codecs.forumotion.net/

FFDSHOW - free

http://sourceforge.net/projects/ffdshow/

Check here :

Plug-ins for Windows Media Player

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/player/plugins.aspx


VLC needs no Codec usually so use it as a backup, when it asks to take over file associations just say no.

VLC - Free

http://www.videolan.org/vlc/


If 64 bit and you need codec.

Read this 1st and either go that route or use the one below. (Vista or Windows 7)

http://www.vistax64.com/sound-audio/152850-vista-codec-pack-32bit-64bit-media-player-codecs.html


If 64 bit - can run WMP in 32 or 64 bit mode.


You need to know which you are using 32 or 64 WMP

Switch, Change or Set 64-Bit Windows Media Player 11 (WMP11) in Windows Vista x64 as Default (or WMP12 - Windows7)

http://www.mydigitallife.info/2007/01/19/switch-change-or-set-64-bit-windows-media-player-11-wmp11-in-windows-vista-x64-as-default/


And you can use this when needed as no codex is usually required.

VideoLAN - VLC media player

http://www.videolan.org/

Hope this helps.


Rob Brown - Microsoft MVP <- profile - Windows and Devices for IT : Bicycle - Mark Twain said it right.

Was this answer helpful?

0 comments No comments

49 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2010-05-03T16:42:06+00:00

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=20oWaFad9_0

    http://media-convert.com/

    I converted the problem file to a WMV file (using the maximum resolution and size possible on the site) using the abovementioned site and then back to an AVI file.

    It worked as an WMV file and then again as an AVI file.

    I have wasted time and money downloading programmes which claim to convert all video formats from one to another only to find that they do not. I also had a virus warning on one Free Download site which set my Antivirus software into a panic. I have also had sites that calim to be free to download but cost money to activate etc, very frustrating.

    This site is web based and requires no downloading of software and so presumably no viruses. You have to queue whilst other people's files are converted but if it is a precious video then it is worth it, I think.

    So this is my long winded solution. I do not work for this site nor do I have any links with this organisiation.

    I hope that this helps.

    Rob C.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments