Other issues or features related to Microsoft Edge on Windows 11
This browser is no longer supported.
Upgrade to Microsoft Edge to take advantage of the latest features, security updates, and technical support.
In Edge Collections, how do I sort collections alphabetically? It used to be easy to do.
Other issues or features related to Microsoft Edge on Windows 11
Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.
The method to sort collections by name does not work anymore. Why are all the webpages that explain the old method not removed from their web sites. When you Google for sites to show you in 2024 to sort it, you get only list of useless web sites and videos. Microsoft has never revealed when and why they took that method off.
Over the years it has become remarkably shameful, the lack of communication between MS and its band of merry users. I recall a similar problem with printer issues after a Windows update, days, weeks months of frustration, followed by despair that led to eventual thoughts of returning to smoke signals. However I am a stumbler, a bumbler an all day grump that never yields to technology despite my strongest suit "tech-wise" being the ability to manipulate the on-off mechanisms. I found the --a-- solution and posted it so perhaps someone will discover a method to ease our pain. However, Microsoft is the archetypical suzerain for big business customer relations; I have come to expect no ex cathedra statements or enlightenment of any sort from this organization.
RJK
Just sent Feedback to the Edge group on this issue. Can't believe this alpha sort was taken away when it was there to begin with. Can anyone explain why this "needed" to be removed?
Maybe if more people provide feedback - hint, hint - it will cause alpha sort to be put back where it was.
I've abandoned MS Edge for that very reason. They made a very useful program - Collections - useless. Switched to Google Chrome and never looked back. They have a "Side Panel" which has the same features as Collections and one can sort the contents any way you like it. Good bye MS Edge! Admittedly, I cannot import the Collection's content, but I can live with that shortcoming.
I am just going back to Chrome. Bookmarks are easily sorted alphabetically.
What can I do. I have not changed anything to make this happen.
At present, you must sort collections and their contents manually while signed in: Click "...", click "Manage", drag collections (or entries, if you are within a collection) to where you want them, click "Save" when you are done.
Microsoft removed automatic alphabetic ordering in an update to Edge. However, Edge now retains order over invocations of the collections panel (as long as you are signed in).