Stop Edge from taking control of PDF's permanently!!!

Anonymous
2021-01-20T05:56:56+00:00

I am very frustrated with Microsoft Edge continuously hijacking PDFs.  I run Adobe Acrobat and need to have the tools.  I have tried the standard ways of setting Adobe as the default program for PDFs - through Control Panel, through Properties of the file, through Open with.  None of these work for even an hour.

I have also tried a couple of hacks through Regedit that seem to work for others but not for me.

I am at the stage that if i could I would uninstall Edge.

So, how can I permanently set Adobe as the default program for PDFs?

Microsoft Edge | Read PDFs | Windows 10

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

42 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2021-08-05T23:37:21+00:00

    Hi SharonBVA.

    That's a bummer. I managed to get Edge uninstalled but continued to have the same problem with Micrsoft removing Adobe's association with PDFs. In this case Microsoft associated PDFs with nothing.

    The only way I found to fix it was a full reformat. I haven't had the problem since.

    I hope you find a way.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2021-04-30T02:15:11+00:00

    Well, I have the same software on my laptop and on my PC.  Everything works fine on my laptop, but the issue came up with my PC after I finally upgraded my Adobe.

    So, it was a logical conclusion (in my head anyway).

    Three weeks and no problems at all.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2021-02-08T00:13:18+00:00

    A more specific analysis of the events happening.

    Thanks for going to the trouble of documenting this. What you show is exactly what I expected to be happening, as it will with any application that tries to overturn the user choice. At least you are able to prevent the program from doing it; I'm just surprised that Adobe Acrobat doesn't have a similar preference. All the documentation I could find from Adobe seems to concentrate on the reverse procedure: GPOs are available for organizations to force the PDF file association and prevent users from changing it, which is quite the opposite of what Windows tries to do.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2021-02-07T21:57:45+00:00

    I would not have thought of this!.  I have unchecked PDF from ACDSee and will let you know how it goes.

    Thank you.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2021-01-21T03:26:58+00:00

    That's really annoying, Lester. I had thought we'd gotten past that bug.

    In the Adobe Settings have you tried NOT setting it as default reader, just doing it in the Windows Settings alone? As strange as it sounds, this is what worked for most when this was rampant several years ago.   WIndows wouldn't recognize any default except its own, and by itself.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments