Stop Edge from taking control of PDF's permanently!!!

Anonymous
2021-01-20T05:56:56+00:00

I am very frustrated with Microsoft Edge continuously hijacking PDFs.  I run Adobe Acrobat and need to have the tools.  I have tried the standard ways of setting Adobe as the default program for PDFs - through Control Panel, through Properties of the file, through Open with.  None of these work for even an hour.

I have also tried a couple of hacks through Regedit that seem to work for others but not for me.

I am at the stage that if i could I would uninstall Edge.

So, how can I permanently set Adobe as the default program for PDFs?

Microsoft Edge | Read PDFs | Windows 10

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

42 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2021-10-08T16:31:40+00:00

    Tried several methods posted online 5+ times on different macines and never sticks. The Edge updates seem to always reset. If you have something that is working I would greatly appreciate a link or instructions. Thanks, -Todd

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2021-04-30T00:13:40+00:00

    Hi everyone.

    Well, I have finally solved this problem on my machine.  I just reformatted my PC and reinstalled everything from scratch.  Problem solved!

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2021-02-17T17:04:44+00:00

    In case the only idea I can contribute is to use e.g. "Windows Sysinternals Process Monitor" to capture changes to the respective registry keys and understand which program is changing them. Everything else would only be elaborate guesswork :-/

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2021-02-16T05:16:11+00:00

    The Adobe forums haven't been able to help with this either.

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2021-02-16T04:56:15+00:00

    Does this only happen on Adobe? Does it work on any other app. Have you tried reinstalling Adobe? Tried support? I dont' think this is a edge bug

    In my case it only happens with Adobe.  I agree that it is not an Edge issue because I have managed to remove Edge totally from my PC.  Windows now just removes the association with Adobe and leaves it with no association at all.

    I believe that Windows is the culprit.

    What I don't understand is why this only happens on my PC and not on my laptop - they both have the same software.

    Maybe a reformat might fix it.

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments