Open a specific page or pages broken since KB4023057 / KB5003173 (only works if you set Bing as the default search engine).....

Anonymous
2021-05-12T21:29:00+00:00

Since installing KB4023057 / KB5003173 the Edge 'On start up' setting of 'Open a specific page or pages' no longer works.... Well I say it no longer works... It works if you set the default search engine to Bing, anything other than Bing and it only brings up the MSN news feed (as you would normally get when you open a new tab).

This is pretty annoying, and a big issue in my opinion (forcing people into using Bing, especially with the new nag windows that you cannot get rid of).....

Microsoft Edge | Open the browser | Windows 10

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

50 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Sumit 44,431 Reputation points Volunteer Moderator
    2021-05-30T08:05:19+00:00

    Incidentally I just noticed my spell check was not working, and changed the below setting back to default. With this back to default it still worked OK and without any issues so that would be my recommendation as a better workaround/fix (disabling/restarting Edge then putting it back to default and restarting)

    edge://flags/#edge-show-feature-recommendations

    The problem appears to be fixed on MS end(which was around the same time I posted). Hence you no longer see the behaviour.

    Have updated my post.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2021-05-13T07:25:45+00:00

    Doesn't work for me using about:blank either....

    And what I get

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2021-05-13T07:16:25+00:00

    I'll show with pictures....

    Image

    And my search settings

    Image

    And what I get

    Image

    Settings nag window

    Image

    In summary, it doesn't matter what I set my specific page to, if the default search engine is not set to Bing the defined page does not come up. As soon as I set the default search engine to Bing, my pages come up straight away (after a restart of edge).

    I'm also on the same Edge version.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2021-05-12T23:52:12+00:00

    I can't reproduce this with v.90.0.818.56. With DuckDuckGo as the default search provider and about:blank as the specific start-up page, I get a completely blank page on launch.

    Which page or pages have you specified?

    Why do you suspect that the behaviour you're seeing has something to do with the default search provider?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2021-05-12T21:42:12+00:00

    I will try as well to see if changing back  from google to bing then opens the pages specified at start up,

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments