Restore Previous open tabs after Windows Update

Anonymous
2021-03-22T18:16:18+00:00

An unscheduled reboot of Windows 10 to install updates has deleted all of my open tabs in Edge Chromium.  I have no way to restore the previous session, and the "reopen closed tabs" option does not work.  I have solved the problem for future tabs by selecting the "Continue where you left off" options in the "On startup" settings, but that does nothing to help me with the tabs I have already lost.  You'd think there'd be an easy solution to this with as easily as Windows 10 reboots without permission, but I have yet to find one.

Any help for this annoying (and counterintuitive) issue?

[Original Title: Edge Chromium]

Microsoft Edge | Tabs, address bar, and search | Windows 10

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

52 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2021-09-09T14:32:19+00:00

    It's working now! Thanks.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2021-09-06T14:33:25+00:00

    It now works! Hope it stays working. Thanks for your expert help.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2021-09-01T00:20:11+00:00

    I had a similar problem (just restarting Edge since I disabled Win10 from auto-updating & restarting). And for me selecting that "reopen closed tabs" just opened the exact same tabs I JUST closed (not from past session/s) over & over (no help/use). And so I looked at a bunch of other/similar questions/problems with the tabs recently (in 2020 & 2021). One of the replies I saw (from similar problem in 2020) said some instructions to go to "settings" back then... I looked to see the difference of changes & if a similar fix may be in the Settings... it was for me:

    Click on the .... up at the browser, open/click on settings (make sure the browser is open wide enough if possible), click/tap on the "Start home & new tabs" on the left. It should say "When Edge starts" at top & have options of "Open the new tab page" "Open tabs from the previous session" and "Open these pages:" to choose from. For me it wasn't the last session but the selected pages/tabs.

    Better than nothing like at first, but not as many options to save/restore history/tabs as some other browsers let you (1 lets you choose at least 1 restore point/date like with.... Windows). If I really needed to restore Edge tabs different from those or from longer before then I would search if any restore apps (that work with edge) might have been developed yet.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2021-08-30T21:01:19+00:00

    Thank you

    I did not find that particular verbage in Settings. However, I previous found a "start up" list of options in Settings and chose "open tabs from previous session" under "When Edge starts".

    I haven't had an update yet to test and see if this works.

    I hope so

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2021-08-24T14:27:28+00:00

    Nothing closes means when I hit the "X" none of the tabs will close; must be done individually.

    I went here: At ⋯ (Settings and more) > Settings > Appearance, is Ask before closing multiple tabsI did this now: (did not see at bottom before.) It WORKS now! Thanks a million.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments