Unable to use Rufus with Windows 11 GPT/UEFI

Anonymous
2021-08-19T23:36:06+00:00

With Windows 11, we were instructed to use GPT/UEFI when using Rufus to create a Windows 11 Insider ISO. Rufus has changed their policy and in order to use the newly created ISO states that Secure Boot must be disabled. Can Microsoft offer any help here?

FAQ · pbatard/rufus Wiki · GitHub

Feedback Hub: https://aka.ms/AAdjkc0

Windows Insider program | Windows Insider preview | Repair and recovery

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
CrazyKats 19,760 Reputation points Volunteer Moderator
2021-08-20T00:33:50+00:00

Oh! I could be wrong but I think I know what's going on. If you download/use the official ISO, it contains both Home & Pro and it's too big for FAT32, therefore Rufus changes to NTFS automatically.

Ahhh that makes sense.

So that means we would have to turn off Secure Boot.

Was this answer helpful?

1 person found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

46 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2021-08-20T05:13:36+00:00

    I repeat! I have NEVER used FAT32 to create Official ISO's from Microsoft! Microsoft now requires Secure Boot On for Windows 11 so since Rufus wants to play games with Microsoft and Sibro said to just turn off Secure Boot, that is what I did and then turned it back on after the ISO was installed. In 6 1/2 years I only had to use that other method only once. After that I only use Official ISO's from Microsoft. Maybe that other method creates issues, who knows. I did not want my thread to turn into a book. Thank you Sibro for your suggestion and thanks to
    Saltgrass for your agreement.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2021-08-20T05:10:08+00:00

    Hi,

    Here is a sample of an ISO with install.wim split in 2 files that meet the 4GiB size restriction and still contain all the versions of the original install.wim.

    Much quicker to create the split than converting to .esd, takes 1 to 2 minutes to execute the command:

    Dism /Split-Image /ImageFile:D:\Temp\install.wim /SWMFile:D:\Temp\install.swm /FileSize:4000

    Hi fg and thanks for the info, but I'd rather use Rufus or balenaEtcher and let them do the work for me. ;)

    That is fine, I used Rufus too in the past, but I try to avoid third party stuff if I can, just extra programs to keep up to date. 😉

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2021-08-20T04:57:59+00:00

    Hi,

    Here is a sample of an ISO with install.wim split in 2 files that meet the 4GiB size restriction and still contain all the versions of the original install.wim.

    Much quicker to create the split than converting to .esd, takes 1 to 2 minutes to execute the command:

    Dism /Split-Image /ImageFile:D:\Temp\install.wim /SWMFile:D:\Temp\install.swm /FileSize:4000

    Hi fg and thanks for the info, but I'd rather use Rufus or balenaEtcher and let them do the work for me. ;)

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2021-08-20T04:57:13+00:00

    In case you do not understand, which I truly believe you do not, the size of any file is not relevant to an NTFS partition so my install media does not care..

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments