Unable to use Rufus with Windows 11 GPT/UEFI

Anonymous
2021-08-19T23:36:06+00:00

With Windows 11, we were instructed to use GPT/UEFI when using Rufus to create a Windows 11 Insider ISO. Rufus has changed their policy and in order to use the newly created ISO states that Secure Boot must be disabled. Can Microsoft offer any help here?

FAQ · pbatard/rufus Wiki · GitHub

Feedback Hub: https://aka.ms/AAdjkc0

Windows Insider program | Windows Insider preview | Repair and recovery

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
CrazyKats 19,760 Reputation points Volunteer Moderator
2021-08-20T00:33:50+00:00

Oh! I could be wrong but I think I know what's going on. If you download/use the official ISO, it contains both Home & Pro and it's too big for FAT32, therefore Rufus changes to NTFS automatically.

Ahhh that makes sense.

So that means we would have to turn off Secure Boot.

Was this answer helpful?

1 person found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

46 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2021-08-20T05:02:55+00:00

    In case you do not understand, which I truly believe you do not, the size of any file is not relevant to an NTFS partition so my install media does not care..

    Your comments are really getting ridiculous, the limit of 4 GiB is only of FAT32.

    We all know that it is not an issue with NTFS.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2021-08-20T05:01:58+00:00

    @hawkeyes46

    "Bla, Bla, you refuse to do testing so your comments are irrelevant.. What you are saying is incorrect and you are misleading the group.

    So let us boil this down. How do you explain my installing Win 11 Dev with an install media with no FAT32 partition?

    My guess is you cannot, which will mean all of your comments are, indeed irrelevant."

    That is so not the answer, don't understand why you marked it.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2021-08-20T04:55:56+00:00

    You ignored the question, how did I install Win 11 with install media the did not have an Fat32 partition.. I will be waiting for an honest response.

    I did that too plenty of times, but not on the latest UEFI machines, I said I have one machine that can still boot with NTFS USB media even if it is an UEFI machine, but it is over 8 yrs old.

    On the new ones I have to use the FAT32, period.

    This is really getting useless. Good night.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2021-08-20T04:45:12+00:00

    In Win 11 you may not need FAT32. It would be really nice if folks would test their systems, if you have a qualified Win 11 system, to see if the NTFS install media would work..

    @Salgrass,

    FAT32 is a UEFI requirement, nothing to do with Windows 11 or windows 10.

    Some old UEFI machines can still boot both NTFS or FAT32 ( I have one of those).

    But not the new ones, they only boot from FAT32 as per UEFI specs.

    Also a FAT32 USB installation media built properly can be used on Both UEFI and Legacy BIOS machines , no need for different ones.

    BINGO!!!

    Hi,

    Here is a sample of an ISO with install.wim split in 2 files that meet the 4GiB size restriction and still contain all the versions of the original install.wim.

    Much quicker to create the split than converting to .esd, takes 1 to 2 minutes to execute the command:

    Dism /Split-Image /ImageFile:D:\Temp\install.wim /SWMFile:D:\Temp\install.swm /FileSize:4000

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments