Surface Pro 7 Randomly Shutting Down

Anonymous
2020-02-11T17:37:21+00:00

Hello,

I bought a Surface Pro 7 last week and it was having a problem where it was randomly shutting off (like the screen goes to black and then when I start it up, it boots up like normal). When I open the computer back up, anything I had opened is closed. I went and returned it for a new one, thinking that I had a buggy laptop. This new one is having the same problems too. I updated when I first got it and I did the Surface Diagnostic Toolkit, which said that everything is working fine. I also changed the sleep settings and that didn't help. I posted the reliability history that I have gotten.

Thank you.

Surface | Surface Pro | Power and battery

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

42 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2020-04-19T18:27:14+00:00

    The first time I tried the Disable the "Panel Self Refresh" option in the Intel Graphics Command Center fix it didn't work.  Then I reread the instructions and noticed it said to do it for both the battery mode AND the plugged in mode.  I had only done it for the battery mode because that was when the problem occurred.  After doing it for the plugged in mode as well as the battery mode the problem went away and has not happened again.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2020-04-19T01:06:11+00:00

    I have the same issue. $2000 machine just bought after xmas and today had to issue a second replacement because it wont load the OS anymore and keeps shutting down. MS needs to accept all returns and get this refunded to everyone no matyer when it was purchased!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2020-04-19T00:29:03+00:00

    I have the same problem, though for me it coincided with updating to the Windows 10 version 2004 two days ago. Given the prevalence of this problem, dating long before 2004, it seems like it's probably coincidence. For for now, I would recommend anyone with a Surface Pro 7 avoid the update. That "Option 4" solution hasn't worked for me. While I'm using the device, the screen will just go black and I have to restart.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2020-04-18T21:08:57+00:00

    I just got my Surface Pro 7 yesterday and I had a few random shutdowns already. I have taken a look at the reliability report myself. 

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments