That sounds like machine noise from the SSD and is dang annoying! I would definitely return it as you likely have a malfunctioning or dying SSD in the SP.
High pitched very disturbing noise off my Surface Pro
I have had my first surface pro sent on a warranty run because of it producing a very annoying high pitched disturbing noise which came (in "waves") a little now and then, whenever I am using the tablet. It did not come from the fan, I know how that defect sounds, it was more of a electronic noise. The noise isn't very loud, but sounds like you get tinnitus and is so disturbing that I can't use the tablet at all in my quiet room. The noise comes also when I have disabled the sound card, bluetooth device, wifi etc. I've tried to disable most of the drivers that are disableble ;) It doesn't get rid of the noise.
So now the company which I bought it from, sent me a new surface pro 128Gb. The sad thing is that my new tablet produces the very same noise as the one I got changed. So what is the chances that I've gotten two defective devices (assuming that the import company I am ordering from isn't sending me defective devices on purpose...) twice?
With this assumption I guess that most of microsoft surface pro have this defect and I badly need a solution for it. I have waited for one year for a product that I could use effectively for taking notes of lectures and when it comes, I get this noise issue which I have never encountered with any other tablet I've used, ever. When everything else is perfect, why does this thing have to ruin it :(
The fan isn't even on when noise present, but one interesting thing is that the noise disappears when I press the tablets sleep button and it goes into sleep. Is there a way to get rid of the noise? I can live without most things except wifi, screen, soundcard, touch and wacom. Even with only these things functioning (as long as the noise would be gone) it would be worth the 1400$ it has costed me. But this noise makes it impossible to use the tablet.
**Thanks in advance for the help!**All suggestions are welcome.
Surface | Surface Pro | Install and update
Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.
44 additional answers
Sort by: Most helpful
-
Anonymous
2013-11-23T14:42:13+00:00 Must say we have gotten many very nice answeres in this thread, nice!
I returned my surface pro 1. Now there is a new one, surface pro 2.
I would like to know if people are experiencing high pitched noise issues on microsoft surface pro 2 or any other haswell products.
I myself plan to buy surface pro 2 and the only thing holding me off (except the terrible, terrible backside camera which makes photoscanning documents a cellphone + synch chore) is the risk of surface pro 2 making the very same noise again.
Thanks in advance!
-
Anonymous
2013-11-02T19:27:49+00:00 Hi. So far I haven't noticed a difference in battery life. So I can't say one way or the other. I assume you can remove the registry entry to re-enable the C-state? Research how to re-enable, then just try it.
Sorry to bring this back up, but now that you have had some time with the fix, have you noticed an change in battery life? Thanks and once again, sorry for bring this back up.
-
Anonymous
2013-10-29T15:40:50+00:00 Mines made that sound restart it still the sound, I then shut it down now it will not come back on..Anybody. knows why? Thank u..
-
Anonymous
2013-10-17T14:15:16+00:00 Hi. So far I haven't noticed a difference in battery life. So I can't say one way or the other. I assume you can remove the registry entry to re-enable the C-state? Research how to re-enable, then just try it.