Surface Pro 4, Screen Flickering, Shaking

Anonymous
2017-01-19T07:47:47+00:00

Hi All,

Update: Flickergate is now having a forum to bring all affected users at a single platform to plan for resolvement of issue. Please join at

 https://forum.flickergate.com

UPDATE: Check FlickerGate.com for videos of the problem and to submit your own. 

I purchased SP4 device a few months ago and it was working fine for a month. Then I noticed that when the CPU is at its max, the screen flickers a bit. Investigating further revealed that it flickers even if it is setting idle. It does not flicker if at least one of the following thing is done:

  1. A video being played in browser 
  2. If I keep the touch screen busy by either taping it or keeping a finger on it
  3. If I use the touchpad
  4. If keyboard is used for typing

This resulted in making the device completely unusable while reading articles or ebooks. I am a developer, most of the time I have to read the code and to do that, I have to constantly keep a finger on the touch pad or the screen. I contacted surface support in October and November and was told that the developers are working on the patch. Looking at the updates the developers are pushing since then, I don't think anyone is even aware of the problem there. 

My previous support ticket numbers are:

 ***deleted personally identifiable information***

***deleted personally identifiable information***

Just wondering if anyone else had the same problem (and the fix) and if not, what's the procedure for the refund? I will rather go for a mac then sacrificing $2000+ for a dancing screen.  

Kind Regards,

Abbas

***Personal information deleted by the moderator. Please see the Microsoft Community Frequently Asked Questions for more information on how you can protect your privacy.***

Surface | Surface Pro | Display and screen

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2018-05-11T17:59:00+00:00

Hey Everyone,

Creating the best products and experiences for our customers is our top priority.

We have heard your feedback and after careful examination, have determined that a small percentage of Surface Pro 4 devices are exhibiting a screen flicker that cannot be addressed with a firmware or driver update.

To support customers affected by this issue, we will replace eligible Surface Pro 4 devices for up to three years from the date of purchase, free of charge. If you believe your device is experiencing this issue, please visit our Surface Pro 4 screen flicker article for more details.

Bryan [MSFT]

Was this answer helpful?

100+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

2,779 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2018-03-13T11:34:36+00:00

    Colleagues in Strife

    Microsoft pushed an update for the video driver a few hours ago. I installed and put my SP4 in a mode where the problem shows up - using a power point presentation on the screen where the clock and animated cursor are hidden. It usually displays the symptoms after a few minutes but it has been running now for 4 hours straight with no problem. For some reason the I had to force the update when it arrived - it failed to install on its own. Crossing fingers that this holds out.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2018-03-13T07:02:14+00:00

    Thanks for the reply. My SP4 was back to normal after switching it off for it to cool down. I think it's a problem caused by overheating as I used it for many hours (a few days non-stop) without switching it off for the first time. Normally I used it for a few hours only.  I did not know this an issue with SP4 otherwise I will not consider buying it. I am not sure whether there is an Advance Exchange Program in Malaysia but Microsoft Malaysia did not reply after I emailed them on this. Based on the info from the internet, this problem is still not rectified and one clip on the youtube even show a guy putting SP4 into the fridge to cool down. Hence, I will not be buying any SP in the future.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2018-03-13T05:57:34+00:00

    I am also facing this dilemma.  MS have offered to replace my SP4 FOC.  The terminology they use in describing the unit I would receive is rather circumspect.  It sounds like a new unit but I believe that it is a refurbished unit.  Unless MS can categorically confirm that they have isolated the hardware problem I can only anticipate the same flickering problem some time in the future.

    It is a lot of work to fully reload all my software onto another device, plus I will be without a PC for about one week.  I am tempted to forget about the replacement and move asap to another brand PC tablet (at considerable extra expense) then I know that I will only have to reload the software once and I will not lose a week without my SP.

    Yes, the pain is having nothing to use/work when sending in your SP4.

    Honestly, no one would know whether the screen issue will be coming back or not in future, at least for normal users like me, maybe those repair guys could tell after opened up and check the replacement unit.

    My case was, totally out-of-warranty, told the support team that this is my only device for daily use, Surface Team offered me Advance Exchange Program, which they sent me a replacement unit, and I have to send back 1 unit to them within 2 weeks, if not, I will be charged for the price of whole new unit. After I received the replacement unit, I test and stress the replacement unit non-stop for 3 days, the machine was hot during the stress. And I saw no screen flickering issue, and decided to send back to them my problem unit after satisfied with this replacement unit in terms of cosmetic and software wise.

    I would not know the Advance Exchange Program is available in your region or not as I am in Malaysia and done the swap by above program, I have no screen issue so far and touch wood with this replacement unit, I am going to install heavy software and games maybe in near future as I said before in the thread and see how it goes.

    Please mention the Advance Exchange Program with the Surface Team.

    Thanks for this advice.  Before responding to their replacement offer I have asked MS how they can be sure I would have no flickering on a replacement unit if they haven't conclusively identified the cause of the problem. They say the units have been fully tested but that didn't stop some of them flickering again so the testing may be inadequate.  I am awaiting their response.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2018-03-13T04:45:41+00:00

    I am also facing this dilemma.  MS have offered to replace my SP4 FOC.  The terminology they use in describing the unit I would receive is rather circumspect.  It sounds like a new unit but I believe that it is a refurbished unit.  Unless MS can categorically confirm that they have isolated the hardware problem I can only anticipate the same flickering problem some time in the future.

    It is a lot of work to fully reload all my software onto another device, plus I will be without a PC for about one week.  I am tempted to forget about the replacement and move asap to another brand PC tablet (at considerable extra expense) then I know that I will only have to reload the software once and I will not lose a week without my SP.

    Yes, the pain is having nothing to use/work when sending in your SP4.

    Honestly, no one would know whether the screen issue will be coming back or not in future, at least for normal users like me, maybe those repair guys could tell after opened up and check the replacement unit.

    My case was, totally out-of-warranty, told the support team that this is my only device for daily use, Surface Team offered me Advance Exchange Program, which they sent me a replacement unit, and I have to send back 1 unit to them within 2 weeks, if not, I will be charged for the price of whole new unit. After I received the replacement unit, I test and stress the replacement unit non-stop for 3 days, the machine was hot during the stress. And I saw no screen flickering issue, and decided to send back to them my problem unit after satisfied with this replacement unit in terms of cosmetic and software wise.

    I would not know the Advance Exchange Program is available in your region or not as I am in Malaysia and done the swap by above program, I have no screen issue so far and touch wood with this replacement unit, I am going to install heavy software and games maybe in near future as I said before in the thread and see how it goes.

    Please mention the Advance Exchange Program with the Surface Team.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments