Surface Pro 4, Screen Flickering, Shaking

Anonymous
2017-01-19T07:47:47+00:00

Hi All,

Update: Flickergate is now having a forum to bring all affected users at a single platform to plan for resolvement of issue. Please join at

 https://forum.flickergate.com

UPDATE: Check FlickerGate.com for videos of the problem and to submit your own. 

I purchased SP4 device a few months ago and it was working fine for a month. Then I noticed that when the CPU is at its max, the screen flickers a bit. Investigating further revealed that it flickers even if it is setting idle. It does not flicker if at least one of the following thing is done:

  1. A video being played in browser 
  2. If I keep the touch screen busy by either taping it or keeping a finger on it
  3. If I use the touchpad
  4. If keyboard is used for typing

This resulted in making the device completely unusable while reading articles or ebooks. I am a developer, most of the time I have to read the code and to do that, I have to constantly keep a finger on the touch pad or the screen. I contacted surface support in October and November and was told that the developers are working on the patch. Looking at the updates the developers are pushing since then, I don't think anyone is even aware of the problem there. 

My previous support ticket numbers are:

 ***deleted personally identifiable information***

***deleted personally identifiable information***

Just wondering if anyone else had the same problem (and the fix) and if not, what's the procedure for the refund? I will rather go for a mac then sacrificing $2000+ for a dancing screen.  

Kind Regards,

Abbas

***Personal information deleted by the moderator. Please see the Microsoft Community Frequently Asked Questions for more information on how you can protect your privacy.***

Surface | Surface Pro | Display and screen

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2018-05-11T17:59:00+00:00

Hey Everyone,

Creating the best products and experiences for our customers is our top priority.

We have heard your feedback and after careful examination, have determined that a small percentage of Surface Pro 4 devices are exhibiting a screen flicker that cannot be addressed with a firmware or driver update.

To support customers affected by this issue, we will replace eligible Surface Pro 4 devices for up to three years from the date of purchase, free of charge. If you believe your device is experiencing this issue, please visit our Surface Pro 4 screen flicker article for more details.

Bryan [MSFT]

Was this answer helpful?

100+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

2,779 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2018-02-24T13:58:39+00:00

    I have the same problem. The bottom third of the screen jitters some of the time. It randomly goes away, but then comes back. It has been occurring more frequently as time has gone on. REALLY hope that Microsoft at LEAST publicly recognizes the problem. 

    Really disappointing how Microsoft is handling (or NOT handling) the problem

    .

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2018-02-24T11:21:25+00:00

    better get it replaced if you can. I had mine changed just last week. The new unit is working fine. Although I only have 90 days warranty on it so I am thinking of sellling it and getting something else. 

    Hard to do though since I like the note taking capabilities of it. And I like the 3:2 aspect ratio. Nice when coding. Or generally doing anything really.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2018-02-24T11:01:44+00:00

    Guys, one question please: isn't the animated cursor solving the issue?

    I have described, one week ago, the steps to install a free animated cursor which brings the value of always having changing pixels (inside this cursor). Having pixels changing will prevent the flickering from happening.

    Note 1: Amad Raja has then proposed a variance, which is using default Windows animated cursors (ANI files). That's also good and doesn't need any extra download but has the inconvenience of showing an always busy cursor, even when it is doing nothing. But this works as well.

    Again, it is not ideal, but if you are out of warranty, or in the wait of having the device replaced or in the need of using you SP4 right now, then please the below and report back if that worked for you. Thanks.

    So, let me remind the steps here:

    ======================

    Probably not the solution you'd like but an option is to install an animated cursor like this one: https://exsess.deviantart.com/art/Zune-d-Animated-Cursors-Set-264087386 (you may find others, on other sites)

    Since cursor is animated, a few pixels are always changing and the flickering no longer happens. Worked for me and accepted. Plus, I like the red triangular cursor as it helps to spot rapidly where mouse is.

    As requested, these are the steps to install animated cursor

    > Download and unzip in a folder

    > Go to this folder and right-click install.inf file, click "Install"

    > Accept UAC screens

    > Once the above is done, click Windows Start button and go to "Settings"

    > Look for "Mouse Settings" in search box

    > Select blue link "Additional mouse options"

    > Now go to second tab "Pointers"

    > Click drop down list and select "Zune'd"

    > Apply, OK

    Now your cursor should be red and animated.

    Oh, and let us know if you have any issue with above steps, as fellow SP4 users, we understand how frustrating it can be not being able to use this wonderful piece of technology.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2018-02-24T10:27:24+00:00

    I live in Thailand. I bought my Surface Pro 4 in January 2017. After using it for 6 months, my machine started to randomly develop the screen shaking/flicking problem. I've been trying to fix this problem by myself as many recommended solutions I could find in the internet, but nothing permanently help get rid of my issue. The screen shaking/flickering still randomly occurs these days. Very disappointed with this product being claimed as a premium machine. Now I've decided to switch back to Apple MacBook Pro (more reliable and very good build of quality). I will never recommend any hardware products from Microsoft to my customers.

    My Surface Pro 4 is going to end of warranty in March 2018. Going to call Microsoft Supports in Thailand if they have any offers. 

    (Above is a sample captured shaking screen on my Surface Pro 4)

    ![](https://learn-attachment.microsoft.com/api/attachments/f04c7472-5769-4b3b-8f34-25cfccde99bc?platform=QnA

    (After any movements like moving mouse cursor, the shaking screen disappeared. Yes, you have to do this every time)

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments