Surface Pro 4, Screen Flickering, Shaking

Anonymous
2017-01-19T07:47:47+00:00

Hi All,

Update: Flickergate is now having a forum to bring all affected users at a single platform to plan for resolvement of issue. Please join at

 https://forum.flickergate.com

UPDATE: Check FlickerGate.com for videos of the problem and to submit your own. 

I purchased SP4 device a few months ago and it was working fine for a month. Then I noticed that when the CPU is at its max, the screen flickers a bit. Investigating further revealed that it flickers even if it is setting idle. It does not flicker if at least one of the following thing is done:

  1. A video being played in browser 
  2. If I keep the touch screen busy by either taping it or keeping a finger on it
  3. If I use the touchpad
  4. If keyboard is used for typing

This resulted in making the device completely unusable while reading articles or ebooks. I am a developer, most of the time I have to read the code and to do that, I have to constantly keep a finger on the touch pad or the screen. I contacted surface support in October and November and was told that the developers are working on the patch. Looking at the updates the developers are pushing since then, I don't think anyone is even aware of the problem there. 

My previous support ticket numbers are:

 ***deleted personally identifiable information***

***deleted personally identifiable information***

Just wondering if anyone else had the same problem (and the fix) and if not, what's the procedure for the refund? I will rather go for a mac then sacrificing $2000+ for a dancing screen.  

Kind Regards,

Abbas

***Personal information deleted by the moderator. Please see the Microsoft Community Frequently Asked Questions for more information on how you can protect your privacy.***

Surface | Surface Pro | Display and screen

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2018-05-11T17:59:00+00:00

Hey Everyone,

Creating the best products and experiences for our customers is our top priority.

We have heard your feedback and after careful examination, have determined that a small percentage of Surface Pro 4 devices are exhibiting a screen flicker that cannot be addressed with a firmware or driver update.

To support customers affected by this issue, we will replace eligible Surface Pro 4 devices for up to three years from the date of purchase, free of charge. If you believe your device is experiencing this issue, please visit our Surface Pro 4 screen flicker article for more details.

Bryan [MSFT]

Was this answer helpful?

100+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

2,779 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2018-02-23T06:40:31+00:00

    Cause: If there is noting being animated/moving on the screen, then this problem starts appearing and the screen starts flickering.

    Solution: There must be some animation or motion on the screen. It can be as small as blinking cursor on the place of entering text, animated screensaver or mouse pointer motion. Of course, none of these options is available everytime e.g. when we are just reading a static pdf page of webpage etc. So here is a smart way... CHANGE THE MOUSE POINTER INTO AN ANIMATED POINTER from themes setting, because the mouse pointer is the only thing that always remain available on your screen.

    Follow the steps below;

    **Step 1:**Right-click on desktop, and click 'Personalize'

    **Step 2:**Click on 'Themes'

    **Step 3:**Click on 'Mouse cursor'

    **Step 4:**In the 'Mouse Properties' setting window, select 'Normal Select' under 'Customize' list.

    Step 5: Click 'Browse' button

    Step 6: In the Browse window, select any cursor file ending with '.ani' file extension. (e.g. I chose 'aero_working_xl')

    Step 7: Click 'Open' button

    Step 8: Click 'OK' button to close 'Mouse Properties' window

    Step 9: ...Enjoy, as problem is gone

    [Note: Remember sometimes you bring your mouse pointer to certain places where it becomes static (e.g. a hand cursor under hyperlinks). In such cases, the screen may start flickering again, there is frozen screen and there is nothing else on the screen being animated/moving for long. However no sooner you move your pointer away from the hyperlink, and it becomes an animated cursor, it again becomes normal.]

    Thanks

    Best Regards

    Amad Raja

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2018-02-23T03:45:33+00:00

    A good and reassuring point which I should have realised given that my external display remains unaffected.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2018-02-23T03:32:20+00:00

    For what it's worth, if you are doing a presentation while projecting to an external display, you should have no problem.  Many people confirm that external displays are not affected, only the actual Surface display.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2018-02-23T03:11:00+00:00

    Thanks for your overview of the issue.  Very sad story.

    My SP4 was one of the first released on 2015 and had to be replaced under warranty very soon thereafter due to overheating and fan noise, so no more warranty.  I'm still wondering if this could be a problem caused by overheating because of poor fan control.

    I have only ever experienced the heating/jitter problem since I started video editing.

    You worry me when you say there may be an issue with PowerPoint.  I don't need failures in public presentations!

    I have an ageing HP Probook also so it might pay me to replace it something like the HP Omen gaming laptop which should handle graphics and video editing better.  Unfortunately, it seems that gaming PCs tend not to come with touchscreens.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments