Surface Pro 4, Screen Flickering, Shaking

Anonymous
2017-01-19T07:47:47+00:00

Hi All,

Update: Flickergate is now having a forum to bring all affected users at a single platform to plan for resolvement of issue. Please join at

 https://forum.flickergate.com

UPDATE: Check FlickerGate.com for videos of the problem and to submit your own. 

I purchased SP4 device a few months ago and it was working fine for a month. Then I noticed that when the CPU is at its max, the screen flickers a bit. Investigating further revealed that it flickers even if it is setting idle. It does not flicker if at least one of the following thing is done:

  1. A video being played in browser 
  2. If I keep the touch screen busy by either taping it or keeping a finger on it
  3. If I use the touchpad
  4. If keyboard is used for typing

This resulted in making the device completely unusable while reading articles or ebooks. I am a developer, most of the time I have to read the code and to do that, I have to constantly keep a finger on the touch pad or the screen. I contacted surface support in October and November and was told that the developers are working on the patch. Looking at the updates the developers are pushing since then, I don't think anyone is even aware of the problem there. 

My previous support ticket numbers are:

 ***deleted personally identifiable information***

***deleted personally identifiable information***

Just wondering if anyone else had the same problem (and the fix) and if not, what's the procedure for the refund? I will rather go for a mac then sacrificing $2000+ for a dancing screen.  

Kind Regards,

Abbas

***Personal information deleted by the moderator. Please see the Microsoft Community Frequently Asked Questions for more information on how you can protect your privacy.***

Surface | Surface Pro | Display and screen

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2018-05-11T17:59:00+00:00

Hey Everyone,

Creating the best products and experiences for our customers is our top priority.

We have heard your feedback and after careful examination, have determined that a small percentage of Surface Pro 4 devices are exhibiting a screen flicker that cannot be addressed with a firmware or driver update.

To support customers affected by this issue, we will replace eligible Surface Pro 4 devices for up to three years from the date of purchase, free of charge. If you believe your device is experiencing this issue, please visit our Surface Pro 4 screen flicker article for more details.

Bryan [MSFT]

Was this answer helpful?

100+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

2,779 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2018-01-21T01:37:06+00:00

    software cause flickering? if it's software, why dont Microsoft provide the fix? if it's Hardware, how much to fix?

    i see this flickering happen every day every around 20 minutes usage.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2018-01-20T23:36:07+00:00

    this is why Microsoft cant fight with Apple. My friend asked me if it's good to buy Surface, i showed it my SP4 defects

    Hi, JasonJason3187,

    Does Appl have similar product? with laptop that can be converted to Pad?

    They dont, but they certainly dont leave a product problem to be in the air for so long. I have also a problem with my SB2 that has to do with flickering. There is an active comunity post about it. And no one from microsoft has said a word. I have exchanged ny sb2 2 times, one for a charger hissing, and another one for the flickering problem. Which seems to be software related not hardware. The quality control and support from microsofr ITS NOT GOOD, PERIOD. I have emailed a contact there for days. And not a response back even tho I was ASSURED a response.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2018-01-20T23:30:15+00:00

    this is why Microsoft cant fight with Apple. My friend asked me if it's good to buy Surface, i showed it my SP4 defects

    Hi, JasonJason3187,

    Does Appl have similar product? with laptop that can be converted to Pad?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2018-01-20T22:12:17+00:00

    Has anyone contacted Migliaccio & Rathod LLC? They are the law office that handled the Surface Pro 3 battery degradation lawsuit. They have a history of handling defective products cases and maybe they could offer some insight.

    http://www.classlawdc.com/2016/07/26/migliaccio-rathod-llp-investigates-microsoft-surface-pro-3-battery-failures/

    Since it seems the only way we'll get a response is to scare it out of them.

    I'd contact myself, but as of right now I am sympathetic, but unaffected by the flicker (at the moment. fingers crossed) :P

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments