Surface Pro 4, Screen Flickering, Shaking

Anonymous
2017-01-19T07:47:47+00:00

Hi All,

Update: Flickergate is now having a forum to bring all affected users at a single platform to plan for resolvement of issue. Please join at

 https://forum.flickergate.com

UPDATE: Check FlickerGate.com for videos of the problem and to submit your own. 

I purchased SP4 device a few months ago and it was working fine for a month. Then I noticed that when the CPU is at its max, the screen flickers a bit. Investigating further revealed that it flickers even if it is setting idle. It does not flicker if at least one of the following thing is done:

  1. A video being played in browser 
  2. If I keep the touch screen busy by either taping it or keeping a finger on it
  3. If I use the touchpad
  4. If keyboard is used for typing

This resulted in making the device completely unusable while reading articles or ebooks. I am a developer, most of the time I have to read the code and to do that, I have to constantly keep a finger on the touch pad or the screen. I contacted surface support in October and November and was told that the developers are working on the patch. Looking at the updates the developers are pushing since then, I don't think anyone is even aware of the problem there. 

My previous support ticket numbers are:

 ***deleted personally identifiable information***

***deleted personally identifiable information***

Just wondering if anyone else had the same problem (and the fix) and if not, what's the procedure for the refund? I will rather go for a mac then sacrificing $2000+ for a dancing screen.  

Kind Regards,

Abbas

***Personal information deleted by the moderator. Please see the Microsoft Community Frequently Asked Questions for more information on how you can protect your privacy.***

Surface | Surface Pro | Display and screen

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2018-05-11T17:59:00+00:00

Hey Everyone,

Creating the best products and experiences for our customers is our top priority.

We have heard your feedback and after careful examination, have determined that a small percentage of Surface Pro 4 devices are exhibiting a screen flicker that cannot be addressed with a firmware or driver update.

To support customers affected by this issue, we will replace eligible Surface Pro 4 devices for up to three years from the date of purchase, free of charge. If you believe your device is experiencing this issue, please visit our Surface Pro 4 screen flicker article for more details.

Bryan [MSFT]

Was this answer helpful?

100+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

2,779 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2018-01-19T20:53:10+00:00

    please tell everyone,

    the problem of flickergate, is on "the small chipset in which sticking in the back lower of the LCD", it is getting hot, and become hotter because of the temperature

    this problem may not happen in the cold weather country

    the service centre dont have that small chipset, so the solution they gave is changing LCD in full

    i cancel the repair, it is better buy new laptop, :( 

    the 2nd option to fix the flickergate, is find an app that could lower the processor speed and lower the fan

    so the surface pro will not become hotter (i've been shown by the service centre the chip, also they gave example an app in IMAC to lower the temperature-processor speed and fans)

    best regards

    sandy (san2ok)

    frasindo.com

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2018-01-19T14:39:53+00:00

    this is why Microsoft cant fight with Apple. My friend asked me if it's good to buy Surface, i showed it my SP4 defects

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2018-01-19T14:06:41+00:00

    I don't think it's any temperature related to the CPU or GPU as those have cooling but if you touch the lower part of the screen near the Cover connector you can notice that this is the hottest part of the device even when idling.

    I think that after some time of use. Some components related to the display here takes damage because it doesn't seem to have any kind of cooling, active or passive. No heat sink and fans probably don't have any effect here. 

    I don't know if any of the readings in the Speed Fan reads temp of this area, but if you touch it you will feel it. This area is quite hot, and looking at the above picture.. there seems to be components there that is part of the display. Covered by some shielding.

    Maybe someone can try put ice or blow a fan on this area to see if it helps? I already got mine replaced. But following this thread in case I get the same problem again.

    I don't use type cover, so I disabled that port (close to heat area) in UEFI, to minimize the risk for getting it again. 

    But in general. I think it's some component in this area that will get damaged over time by heat. Maybe especially if you put your surface on your belly, or other places where the heat can't dissipate. I'm gonna be super careful this time around. I had mine replaced twice now.

    My suspicions is that area. Let me know if cooling that area helps?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2018-01-19T13:39:47+00:00

    Just an update - mine is being replaced.  I had purchased the complete cover and so this is covering it.  Unit is 1 year 10 months old so I'm glad it happened within the TWO years as thats all the complete cover is for.

    I did mention this thread + flickergate but in fairness, unless the call centre staff are told to accept it is an issue, they wont tell the consumer so Microsoft really need to accept and recall as this is a global issue which as far as I see...if it has not happened to you, it will.  It's a case of when not if.

    As most will know, the replacement will not be new but a refurb.  This will mean that if there is an inherant fault with temperature lets just say, it's likely that it will happen on the replacement sooner than the 22 months I got for this one.  MS will not extend the warranty either on the refurb replacement and so in 2 months, I'll be out of warranty and counting the days down to when it will happen again.

    And so on that note, I am most likely going to sell my replacement and go for something non-microsoft.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments