Surface Pro 4, Screen Flickering, Shaking

Anonymous
2017-01-19T07:47:47+00:00

Hi All,

Update: Flickergate is now having a forum to bring all affected users at a single platform to plan for resolvement of issue. Please join at

 https://forum.flickergate.com

UPDATE: Check FlickerGate.com for videos of the problem and to submit your own. 

I purchased SP4 device a few months ago and it was working fine for a month. Then I noticed that when the CPU is at its max, the screen flickers a bit. Investigating further revealed that it flickers even if it is setting idle. It does not flicker if at least one of the following thing is done:

  1. A video being played in browser 
  2. If I keep the touch screen busy by either taping it or keeping a finger on it
  3. If I use the touchpad
  4. If keyboard is used for typing

This resulted in making the device completely unusable while reading articles or ebooks. I am a developer, most of the time I have to read the code and to do that, I have to constantly keep a finger on the touch pad or the screen. I contacted surface support in October and November and was told that the developers are working on the patch. Looking at the updates the developers are pushing since then, I don't think anyone is even aware of the problem there. 

My previous support ticket numbers are:

 ***deleted personally identifiable information***

***deleted personally identifiable information***

Just wondering if anyone else had the same problem (and the fix) and if not, what's the procedure for the refund? I will rather go for a mac then sacrificing $2000+ for a dancing screen.  

Kind Regards,

Abbas

***Personal information deleted by the moderator. Please see the Microsoft Community Frequently Asked Questions for more information on how you can protect your privacy.***

Surface | Surface Pro | Display and screen

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2018-05-11T17:59:00+00:00

Hey Everyone,

Creating the best products and experiences for our customers is our top priority.

We have heard your feedback and after careful examination, have determined that a small percentage of Surface Pro 4 devices are exhibiting a screen flicker that cannot be addressed with a firmware or driver update.

To support customers affected by this issue, we will replace eligible Surface Pro 4 devices for up to three years from the date of purchase, free of charge. If you believe your device is experiencing this issue, please visit our Surface Pro 4 screen flicker article for more details.

Bryan [MSFT]

Was this answer helpful?

100+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

2,779 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2018-01-10T13:30:45+00:00

    I have tried all of the recommended fixes. None of which worked. I have done a full system re-set. Up-dated all store up dates. Re-installed graphics driver. Rolled back graphics driver,none of which worked. 

    Please someone give a definitive fix for this fault as i am in the uk and cannot take to a Microsoft store as they do not exist here.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2018-01-10T10:59:02+00:00

    I daisy-chain two monitors off of my SP4 via the Surface Dock. Neither of the monitors experiences any flickering while the SP4 continues to flicker. While some people have noted that their SP4 only flickers when it gets hot, mine will start flickering even when I first boot it up.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2018-01-10T10:06:21+00:00

    Good catch. I will try this when come home.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2018-01-10T10:03:15+00:00

    Hi all,

    I also have the same issue. Screen starts flickering after some long use in either playing a full screen game, or coding or watching some videos. Seems to be occurring when the computer gets a bit hotter.

    Adam

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments