Surface Pro 4, Screen Flickering, Shaking

Anonymous
2017-01-19T07:47:47+00:00

Hi All,

Update: Flickergate is now having a forum to bring all affected users at a single platform to plan for resolvement of issue. Please join at

 https://forum.flickergate.com

UPDATE: Check FlickerGate.com for videos of the problem and to submit your own. 

I purchased SP4 device a few months ago and it was working fine for a month. Then I noticed that when the CPU is at its max, the screen flickers a bit. Investigating further revealed that it flickers even if it is setting idle. It does not flicker if at least one of the following thing is done:

  1. A video being played in browser 
  2. If I keep the touch screen busy by either taping it or keeping a finger on it
  3. If I use the touchpad
  4. If keyboard is used for typing

This resulted in making the device completely unusable while reading articles or ebooks. I am a developer, most of the time I have to read the code and to do that, I have to constantly keep a finger on the touch pad or the screen. I contacted surface support in October and November and was told that the developers are working on the patch. Looking at the updates the developers are pushing since then, I don't think anyone is even aware of the problem there. 

My previous support ticket numbers are:

 ***deleted personally identifiable information***

***deleted personally identifiable information***

Just wondering if anyone else had the same problem (and the fix) and if not, what's the procedure for the refund? I will rather go for a mac then sacrificing $2000+ for a dancing screen.  

Kind Regards,

Abbas

***Personal information deleted by the moderator. Please see the Microsoft Community Frequently Asked Questions for more information on how you can protect your privacy.***

Surface | Surface Pro | Display and screen

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2018-05-11T17:59:00+00:00

Hey Everyone,

Creating the best products and experiences for our customers is our top priority.

We have heard your feedback and after careful examination, have determined that a small percentage of Surface Pro 4 devices are exhibiting a screen flicker that cannot be addressed with a firmware or driver update.

To support customers affected by this issue, we will replace eligible Surface Pro 4 devices for up to three years from the date of purchase, free of charge. If you believe your device is experiencing this issue, please visit our Surface Pro 4 screen flicker article for more details.

Bryan [MSFT]

Was this answer helpful?

100+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

2,779 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2018-01-05T02:09:45+00:00

    I also have the same problem. My Surface pro 4 screen started flickering and it never stops and this all started happening right after warranty period.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2018-01-04T02:37:59+00:00

    Very upset with the non-help with this issue.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2018-01-03T04:31:54+00:00

    Has anyone figured out an issue to this flickering/shaking madness? I have gotten this Surface Pro 4 for Christmas 2016 and by mid-October 2017, the screen began to shake; however, now January 2018, it goes super crazy and makes words illegible. I tried every method out there that is free (cause I am not paying crap for Microsoft's retarded mistakes). It seems the only way, based on comments, is to pay the damn $450 for a repair/replacement. Is that even worth it? Won't the replacement encounter the same problem as well eventually and then cost me another $450 since they probably won't ever fix this problem. I mean if that is their goal of taking customer's money, it's working.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2018-01-01T18:27:05+00:00

    Thanks tunepunk for the recommendations.  I've implemented them but don't see an appreciable change.  I still have flicker even though SpeedFan lists all of my temps at 28C or lower.   Now, I just started flickering yesterday and at this point it's extremely annoying but still usable ... maybe this will do a lot better for others ... but simply keeping the temperature below 40C does not seem to be magic bullet.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments